just_say_meth

Rear caliper carriers

Hi Folks, just a quick question. I'm finishing off my rebuilt rear axle and when I was in VW today I asked the guy if the caliper carriers were sided, to which he replied yes!

So my question is how can I tell which side is which cause the part No.s are no longer readable?? :lol:

TIA

Andy

i had the same question Andy, as i have some spare carriers form my last C which were shot blasted etc (so no part no's now). They certainly both look identical (well to me anyway), but the listed part no's are different. maybe they are the same, and just called left & right as the calipers differ for each side ?

i suspect someone will know the answer.

Hmmm i dont think they're side specific. They MAY have a different part number for each side though, you know what car manufacturers are like.

If you dont get a difinative answer i'll take a look tomorrow as i have a brand new carrier sat in the garage.

i had the same question Andy, as i have some spare carriers form my last C which were shot blasted etc (so no part no's now). They certainly both look identical (well to me anyway), but the listed part no's are different. maybe they are the same, and just called left & right as the calipers differ for each side ?

i suspect someone will know the answer.

Hey Steve, Yeah I thought that they looked exactly the same too :lol: Certainly can't see any distiguishing features!! Would be good to know before I bolt the whole lot on though.

Hmmm i dont think they're side specific. They MAY have a different part number for each side though, you know what car manufacturers are like.

If you dont get a difinative answer i'll take a look tomorrow as i have a brand new carrier sat in the garage.

Cheers mate, would be good if you could check :notworthy:

when you go to fit them only one will fit correctly, right? or not

The search is your friend here!

The difference is the pins but I can't remember which should be top and which bottom...

Cheers, wasn't shedding any light when I tried though :(

So the carriers are identical but the slider pins are different? one goes top ones goes bottom? I'll give the search a bash now :salute:

Just checked my guide pins and they are indeed different, one is the same thickness all the way along but has a flat section along the shaft, the other is stepped with a taper. Both seemed to slide easily in top and bottom holes of the carrier. Although the tapered one had play in both holes.

I'm totally confused now :lol: and the search isn't bringing back anything new.

Just checked my guide pins and they are indeed different, one is the same thickness all the way along but has a flat section along the shaft, the other is stepped with a taper. Both seemed to slide easily in top and bottom holes of the carrier. Although the tapered one had play in both holes.

Hmmmmm :scratch:

Meth - which pin went on top/bottom? I didnt notice the pins different when i took my brakes apart, so theres a chance i put the pins back the wrong way round.

Hmmmmm :scratch:

Meth - which pin went on top/bottom? I didnt notice the pins different when i took my brakes apart, so theres a chance i put the pins back the wrong way round.[/quote:b1371lf6]

I don't know, I've done exactly the same thing :lol: I can't find anything to say which pin goes where, I've looked on Vagcat, here and the book of lies (Haynes manual) and drawing blanks all round :shrug:

I did know when I did my rebuild. But I've forgotten. I'll contact my mechanic tomorrow, he knows as he told me which way round they go.

Hey I stripped down my rear brakes recently and the pins for the carriers I had removed cleaned, resealed and greased up. The the pins with the flat tapers went to the lower of the two carrier holes so if you place the carrier where they should sit, onto the car ,the pin closest to the ground should be the one with the flats, well thats they way there were on my car !

Hope this helps

Ok great. I'l be swapping my rears for Mk4's soon so I guess I'll find out. Be interesting to see if they match with yours.

Pulled my caliper carriers off yesterday and found -

The tapered pins with the 'steps' are fitted to the upper pin hole, the bigger diameter straight pin with the flats are fitted to the lower pin hole. This is the same for both sides.

Hope this helps.