Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

oil temp 152...

So my rad bottom hose decided it no longer wanted to be attached to the water pump on the M11 yesterday. :epicfail:

(Was taking the out-laws to Standstead to go home to DK! Only 3 miles from the airport too! ... BIG thanks to the taxi driver for stopping when we waved him down to take them the rest of the way for only £15! :clap: MASSIVE NO THANKS to HIC who didn't include break-down cover on my insurance despite me requesting it! :censored: cost £85 to get off the motorway, and another £70 to get 30 miles home! :shock: )

Anyway pulled it over pretty sharpish as soon as water climed to 110 (no warning light though?) hit the MFA as I was pulling in and oil temp was 152 as I shut down.

So this morning under the car, re-attached hose, re-filled with water (all I have ATM) and starts and runs to temp, fan comes on... oil sits at 108 when fan comes on..

The point of this is a pretty stupid question... :cuckoo:

I should change the oil yeah? Its got Castrol semi-synth in it (changed at Garage 6mths ago)... I'm guessing it'll be fried?

I wouldn't say so, just 'cause it got hot for a few minutes shouldn't be a problem. It's not like the engine was thrashed for hours on that oil.

not a blown engine then ;)

sounds like changing the oil would be an idea though!

Doesn't look like it John, despite the plume of oil smoke coming out the engine when I pulled over...

Will get it booked into Nirro tomorrow for a check over and full fluid change! then cross all fingers....

Even I can change oil! Its a piece of pi$$ on a valver!!

Yes I can change the oil myself, not a complete "Numpty" :tongue:

...but I can't do a leak-down test, Exhaust gas in collant test, or compression test... all which will tell if the HG is ok...

So rather than leave it to chance I'll get the Pro's to check it over and do a fluids change at the same time if all's ok...

If HG gone then it'll probably be time to ABF it! :norty:

Fingers crossed its gone then :lol:

I dont bother changing the oil on my cars any more, for a few quid extra its not worth the hassle, plus getting rid of the old oil etc :camp:

Fingers crossed its gone then :lol:

I dont bother changing the oil on my cars any more, for a few quid extra its not worth the hassle, plus getting rid of the old oil etc :camp:

lol! - hassle? i just take mine to the tip an put it in the big engine oil container... how much does a garage charge for an oil change?

Jon... i've got a vr6 spare?

a Corrado enthusiast who doesn't want to get their hands dirty, what's the world coming to, :shrug:

It wouldn't be a monday morning at work if I wasn't sat at my desk picking the oil and crap out from under my fingernails :lol:

:lol:

I love driving them, playing around with them and looking at them, but as soon as I found a garage that I could trust to fix them properly I gave up getting oily :lol:

Cant remember off the top of my head how much an oil change is but it's not much more than the cost of a filter and oil so bugger doing it myself for the sake of a few quid! :grin:

it's not much more than the cost of a filter and oil so bugger doing it myself for the sake of a few quid! :grin:

that's because they fill it with old chip fat and wipe your old filter down with an oily rag :lol:

it's not much more than the cost of a filter and oil so bugger doing it myself for the sake of a few quid! :grin:

that's because they fill it with old chip fat and wipe your old filter down with an oily rag :lol:

Mine only uses top quality "Quantum" chip fat... and makes a lovely smell when it's warm, must be the Vinegar they use as coolant! :lol:

I don't get it. :lol: All you have to do is undo one bolt and do it back up again. :cuckoo: And if you put gloves on you don't get any oil on your fingers at all. :D

I don't get it. :lol: All you have to do is undo one bolt and do it back up again. :cuckoo: And if you put gloves on you don't get any oil on your fingers at all. :D

actually I do sort of get his point, I always think it's a 5 minute job, but after I struggle with the filter, get oil and crap all up the sides of my arms, drip oil all down the front of the block and over the PAS hoses then always manage to get some on the drive and then dribble it all down the sides of the can when I'm draining the old stuff from a tray into the bottle etc, etc... :bad-words:

I just look at it as I've saved a couple of quid I can spend elsewhere on it :)

It's a piece of pi$$ on any front engined car! :lol: :lol: :lol:

U've not tried a Honda Civic type-r on axle stands then have u??? :brickwall: but yeah most are piece of piss