Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

FLat spot whilst accelerating - VR6

When i accelerate in either 1st/2nd or 3rd from about 1500 to 3-4000 revs i get a kind of flat spot where the car will still accelerate but then suddenly pick up a little and accelerate at a fast pace.

Is this anything to do with the rev range where the cams kick in or anything, or something else i should look at?

My car is a 1993 VR6 in white if that helps :D (i know the white bit wont : 8) )

cheers for help guys

When i accelerate in either 1st/2nd or 3rd from about 1500 to 3-4000 revs i get a kind of flat spot where the car will still accelerate but then suddenly pick up a little and accelerate at a fast pace.

Is this anything to do with the rev range where the cams kick in or anything, or something else i should look at?

A standard VR's torque curve is fairly low till you reach 3500 rpm where it starts to rapidly increase (cams coming on song). If you never go above 4k rpm you never get anything like the best of a VR.

Could be the MAF or dizzy (your VR sounds like an early one). Pick up on mine is vastly improved following a new MAF that's for sure

It could indeed harm, it's not something you're supposed to do for fun! The ECU has had many many hours of adaptation to your engine completed so you shouldn't reset it for a laugh.

Personally I'd figure out if you really do have a problem or not, before you spend ANY money or do ANYTHING destructive to the ECU.

I'd be scanning the ECU for error codes as a first port of call.

Sounds similar to how mine was before i changed the cam shaft sensor, Any missfire? best thing to do is get it on vac com and see what fault readings come up, then go from there.

I had a similar problem and and was simply a dodgy ignition lead. I'd check your leads and plugs before any bigger work.