Sign in to follow this  
simon_miles

Engine Protection

Hi Chaps

I've just brought a VR6 and was wondering if your guys would recommend any specific oil for the engine or should i be using any additives if so which would you recommend?

Thanks

Hi Chaps

I've just brought a VR6 and was wondering if your guys would recommend any specific oil for the engine or should i be using any additives if so which would you recommend?

Thanks

I use Quantum gold - fully synthetic.

Hi Chaps

Thanks

I use Quantum gold - fully synthetic.[/quote:3c8c40ss]

Would fully synthetic be ok on a high milage engine though?? noticed in your sig u have a recon engine, thought semi would be better on anything over 80-90k??

Hi Chaps

Thanks

I use Quantum gold - fully synthetic.

Would fully synthetic be ok on a high milage engine though?? noticed in your sig u have a recon engine, thought semi would be better on anything over 80-90k??[/quote:2mcja5xf]

Well even when mine has done 80-90k i'll still be putting fully synthetic in it.

The best person to speak to would be oilman on here. He knows his stuff about oil.

Hi Chaps

Thanks

Something like FUCHS semi-synthetic 10/40 (from GSF) is perfectly adequate and pretty cheap, unless you're turboing it or only change your oil every 20K.

Fully synthetic won't do any harm as long as it's the right spec, pretty pointless if you have a basically standard car and do regular yearly 7-10K oil changes though.

I changed my VR's oil on Saturday after calling the very nice chaps at Opie. My car uses a bit of oil so I decided to go for a 'basic' full synthetic as its resistance to breaking down at high temperatures may reduce consumption. It's better than all of the semis but cheaper than the expensive Silko Pro S. I have always used Synta Silver in the past but the oil standards it adhears to are very out of date as I understand. I got this:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-877-motul-8 ... hetic.aspx

I've owned high mileage and new Vr motors and they all work well with a decent semi synthetic 10-40 oil which i change often! any fully synthetic oils tend to make the VR top end to tappety for me.

I've owned high mileage and new Vr motors and they all work well with a decent semi synthetic 10-40 oil which i change often! any fully synthetic oils tend to make the VR top end to tappety for me.

I thought that was only affected by the viscosity. Not whether the oil is semi or fully synthetic?

I thought that was only affected by the viscosity. Not whether the oil is semi or fully synthetic?[/quote:3gzjl3lp]

Dont know? Im no oil pro,its just what ive prefered to use over the years compared to fully synthetic which always makes the VR tap away?

yeah, they won't take kindly to a 0/30, problem is a lot of the easily available (Halfords stock etc) fully synths are quite light for older design engines. VW hydraulic tappet design does seem to favour a 10/40.

The first number in the weight description is only its weight when cold. A 10W/40 and 5W/40 will be the same viscosity when the engine is warm only a full synth will remain at 40 weight when the engine is under more temperature stress. Assuming that's correct a correct weight fully synth shouldn't make the engine tappety?

so why does fully synthetic 10-40 make the VR tap away hot or cold unlike semi synthetic 10-40? im confused :?

Interesting, in theory this should not happen as they are both the same visocisty. However, few ideas to throw into the pot.

1. Exactly what oils are being used? (many synthetics are not in the true sence of the word but modified mineral oils) depending on brand a 10w-40 synthetic may not be as good as a very good 10w-40 semi synthetic.

2. Synthetics of the PAO variatety dont do much in the way of favours at hiding noise. Mobil 1 is renowned for this, does not mean there is any harm, just the mineral base of a 10w-40 semi can dampen noise, could be some deposit stuck up there tapping away regardless if you can hear it or not.

3. Does it tap when hot? When cold? Or all the time?

Cheers

Guy.

It was Mobile 1.. 10w-40 ! (that was one of the oils at some point) and it was more noticeable once hot but most of the time it was tapping away!

The oil I use now is from our bulk oil in the tanks from work,im not sure what make it is as we have changed suppliers(again!) But i know its a semi synthetic 10-40 and i have had no problems with that,also the fact i change my oil every 500 miles! :D But i will find out the spec/grade of the oil once im back in work tommorow.

Also my motor was rebuilt brand new up,new everything so i can rule out carbon deposits? :scratch:

Hmm, the Mobil 1 10w-40 is a semi synthetic.

What synthetic have you tried?

Cheers

Guy