Sign in to follow this  
WigsVR6

Anti roll bar on a VR

I was having a look under the front of the C yesterday and noticed a red anti roll bar running under the engine connecting the front wheels. Is this item a standard part which came when the car was made or an after market job? :shrug:

The stock one is definately not red. Of course it could have been painted.

At a guess I'd say you have a free Eibach upgrade.

The stock one is definately not red. Of course it could have been painted.

At a guess I'd say you have a free Eibach upgrade.

Agree with John - likely to be an Eibach jobbie, as I have the same.

corozin and chazrad: do you both run front and rear arbs? Do you find the front works well? I ran both f+r on my prev g60 and it was superb, not tried on the vr yet though

Different people have been telling me that running a rear ARB on a VR makes them handle like a Pug 205!

This is NOT a bad thing! :)

Apparently the rear ARB is a far more effective mod for the money, as the back end can get a bit wobbly ;)

Front ARBs are meant to be good, but can make the car a little skittish from what I've been told!

Getting a rear arb for mine fairly soon!

Ill have a look at the rear of the car to see if I've got one in place. You would think I'd know by now as I've owned the car for 17 months :cuckoo:

Might be just a lower strut brace if it's running under the engine connecting the wheels?

As for rear ARB's, I fitted a Neuspeed 25mm rear ARB couple of weeks ago and it's great! Really improves turn in and it corners much flatter, doesn't feel like it's dragging its arse round the bend. My rear axle bushes are fooked as well so with them done I dare say the ARB will make even more of a difference!

Also fitted MED's and they are awesome! 8)

Also fitted MED's and they are awesome! 8)

MED's? :scratch:

Yeah THESE bad boys. They are solid top mounts to replace the squidgy rubber ones. They give the car an extra 1.5 degrees of caster which gives better stability and make braking more positive. If you look at any modern car's suspension it will have ton's of caster which is why they can sit on motorways for hours without having to adjust the steering once, whereas the corrado is constantly moving around, more so when braking. Think of it in terms of motorbikes, cruisers like Harley's etc have their suspension forks far out in front whereas sports bikes have the wheel tucked right in to the front of the bike, quicker turn in but unstable in straight lines ;)

These will make the steering ever so slightly heavier, but on mine because they have stiffened it up the steering feels sharper. They do also add more road noise however which isn't anything major, just sounds like slightly rougher road surface. You can stop it though by adding shed loads of waxoyl under them to soften it up a bit.

Cheers for that info Rob, they sound pretty good, plus I guess you don't have to worry about them wearing out in a year or two! How much did they set you back?

any pics of them fitted Rob?

insterested to know more about lower strut braces - anyone fitted them?

Cheers for that info Rob, they sound pretty good, plus I guess you don't have to worry about them wearing out in a year or two! How much did they set you back?

Well you say that they won't wear out, the mounts themselves obviously won't as they are solid ally but the bearings can run out quite quickly on them apparently, not a major job to replace them as you won't have to remove the mounts, just drop the suspension down by removing the top nut, pushing out the old bearing and pushing in a new one. New bearing's are about £12 IIRC, so bit of maintenance, but tbh if you are going to start fitting performance improving parts to your car you need to expect some form of maintenance really.

I got mine from Junkie on the forum who bought them from Leon, so I only paid £120 I think it was. IIRC they are only about £150 ish new?

any pics of them fitted Rob?

insterested to know more about lower strut braces - anyone fitted them?

Not got any pics yet no, if I remember I will take some tonight. they look pretty good though ;) would look better if they were on the outside as they are a nice looking piece of kit :( but it no longer has them gold caps on so you look down and see some shiny ally mounts 8)

You're doing well to get 3000 miles out of a bearing. Only a handful of people are hardcore and dedicated enough to get their hands dirty that often, ay Rob? :wink:

Don't forget the self centering out of corners is what really makes these. An area the standard car is severely lacking in.

You're doing well to get 3000 miles out of a bearing. Only a handful of people are hardcore and dedicated enough to get their hands dirty that often, ay Rob? :wink:

Don't forget the self centering out of corners is what really makes these. An area the standard car is severely lacking in.

That's true, I'm not always one of them though :roll: :lol: I am when I can be bothered :lol:

Yeah forgot to say about the self centering, that's a big improvement with these mounts.

Kev/Rob - not following you on self centering... :)

Rob - who fitted them?

3K... Thats either one years worth of driving for me OR a good road trip!

Kev/Rob - not following you on self centering... :)

Rob - who fitted them?

3K... Thats either one years worth of driving for me OR a good road trip!

Me and Kev fitted them on saturday. In theory they're a piece of piss to fit but mine was putting up a fight as the recess they are supposed to fit perfectly in to was not perfectly round on my car and so some minor grinding/sanding was required! After that it's just a case of drilling couple of holes and bolting them in place!

Self centering is just how nicely the wheels straighten up out of a bend, feels like more precise steering. I suppose if you imagine a caster wheel on a shopping trolley for example, if you push it with the caster in front of the axis of steering the wheels wander all over the place and then it casters around to trail behind the axis of steering - so self centers and becomes stable. On cars it's a similar thing the more caster the more self-centering it has which makes the car easier to drive and improves its directional stability (reducing its tendency to wander). Like I said before modern cars have tons of caster to make them uber stable, but then they have more advanced power steering and stiffer chassis etc to make the steering light and positive otherwise it would be heavy and slow!

I might be talking complete bollocks though :lol: I think it's something like that anyway! *Awaits Kev to confirm*

*scuttles off to consult Hillier's Fundamentals of motor vehicle technology (4th edition)*

yep, you're right!

hope you can read this, its a bit of an old skool book, but the basics are covered and its very useful.

castor1.jpg

castor2.jpg

I might be talking complete bollocks though :lol: I think it's something like that anyway! *Awaits Kev to confirm*

Nope, that's all good mate :D

On level we can understand as Corrado owners, the steering on the standard setup is completely dead and feels slack 10% either side of dead ahead. With 1.5 degrees more caster (5 deg in total, playing 3 as standard) the steering weights up immediately off centre, which feels fantastic in out and out of turns. The steering also barely moves on the motorway, it's less affected by lorry ruts, torque steer is tamed, there's massively less strut kickback under hard braking (rear wisbone bush dependant). Another unexpected benefit I noticed was a slicker gearshift. Each shift slots home far more positively, especially 2nd and 3rd. Don't know why that is, but there's definitely a relationship between sloppy struts and the gearchange on Corrados. Well, I've noticed there is at least!

On level we can understand as Corrado owners

:D :p

well i was going to abridge it, but it was easier to take a photo!

Nope, that's all good mate :D

Oh good, I didn't think I was talking too much crap :lol:

...there's massively less strut kickback under hard braking (rear wisbone bush dependant).

Yep, that's where mine still needs some attention, crappy soggy GSF wishbone bushes which lose the castor when hard braking causes it to wander a bit. It's still massively improved but the R32 rear bushes should relly sharpen it up!

Another unexpected benefit I noticed was a slicker gearshift. Each shift slots home far more positively, especially 2nd and 3rd. Don't know why that is, but there's definitely a relationship between sloppy struts and the gearchange on Corrados. Well, I've noticed there is at least!

I've not noticed that one, but then mine's a bit of a pig in general to get in lower gears, mainly when cold though. Will put some Redline MT90 in the box before I strap it to the R32!

You're doing well to get 3000 miles out of a bearing

What about these ? should last longer but will they fit the rado? more to the point have you seen the price!

http://www.venommotorsport.com/manufact ... ntCSMounts

Yeah they look good. I don't know what bearing quality they use though so it's hard to say if they'll last longer. The ones in MEDs are SKF and are about as good as you can get tbh.