Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

Why its sometimes better to ring the Dealer first...

I`m converted to the dealer route too. Bought a second hand part off a guy on this forum that was dodgy and has cost me dear in damage done.

So went into the dealer after reading this thread and asked for a discount and he gave me 15% off top banana :norty:

I'm a big fan of the dealers for some parts, for example I went VW for my Injectors, coolant hoses, filters and most recently a couple of rattle cans (only a few pence more than Halfords but a better colour match).

Edit: Oh, and my distributor was a genuine VW one, although I let the garage source that.

My local dealers parts desk is really good, they know me by voice now. The service desk is less good, but I won't be taking the car there again...

Just ordered a load of nuts and bolts for the weekend, hopefully they will text me in the next few days.

Tom.

Quoting this because I saw your face when you picked the parts up and got the bill :lol: :lol: :tongue:

Dealer bits all the way, especially afyer hearing how most poarts manufacturers priortise their parts as they are quality assessed off the production line.

1. Best bits go to new car production.

2. 2nd best bits bits go the main dealers for spare parts.

3. Worst bits go to 3rd party suppliers etc.

So that does go to prove that the original stuff lasts best but the dealer stuff is better than the 3rd party suppliers.

I think a good case in point was the rear number plate surrounds, these were on back order for ages and not available but enough people tried to buy them and they made a fresh batch preventing them from going obsolete.

Every time I put a dealer order in I always order some Corrado specific trim parts, if we all do that they should keep making the bits that are left.

^ As above - I've been doing that for the last few months with TPS, always adding £20's worth of trim bits / clips etc to each order - won't break the back and should hopefully keep the stock / supply chain rolling.

As for the 90mm spliters - they used to be £85 from VW but may have gone up - GPC still advertise them for £75 though!

Dealer bits all the way, especially afyer hearing how most poarts manufacturers priortise their parts as they are quality assessed off the production line.

1. Best bits go to new car production.

2. 2nd best bits bits go the main dealers for spare parts.

3. Worst bits go to 3rd party suppliers etc.

So that does go to prove that the original stuff lasts best but the dealer stuff is better than the 3rd party suppliers.

Thats the weirdest bit of hear say I've heard of late!

Pattern parts are just that - made to fit the same application and designed to perform in the same way. They often buy tooling such as dies and presses from OEM manufacturers such as the case for body panels etc when OEM manufacturers put them out of action (for one of many reasons). Sometimes they get things wrong in their designs and sometimes the toolings are at the end of their life which is why the OEM manufactures have moved them on.

OEM manufacturers in my experience do not pull parts off the production lines and catagorise them as grade 1, 2, 3 etc. It'd be a ridiculously inefficient and expensive process. In the case of new car manufacture all parts have to be 100% of course so they'll set up the facilities to do just this until demand at the assembly plants is met whether this be batches or continuous. They'll slip in extra batches to go off for aftermarket parts but by no means will these be inferior parts!

I've worked as a manufacturing quality engineer in plants across europe for Ford's largest tier 1 supplier for several years so I do know what I'm talking about (for once!).

Things do get a bit mixed up when pattern parts are made by originally sourced suppliers, and these go one of 2 ways - either they're exactly like to original parts in every way - or, they've been denied rights to produce the parts under their own name and therfore they have to build tooling again to manufacture - hence why these parts can be of a sub-standard.

i think im lucky like some on here, the guy on parts desk at my local dealer is great........the only PAIN is when VW themselves have obseleted the part!!!!!

eg heated seat control dash switch - i mean come on VW - its not even like i can make a replacement myself!!

most annoying as im sure many will agree