Sign in to follow this  
big ben

body work - please help!!

hey guys, need some help!!

i have had some work done on my left rear quarter and they have bodged it up, long story.. ( on a thread a started http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=80746 )

anyway, basically the door doesnt line up with the below sill and its gettin to me!! what can i do about it? should i get it redone (not by the people who done it), is there anyway i can get over it? or should i just get a shell and move all my bits over??

pics arent great but its 5mm at least out and looks stupid!! you cant even see the sill if you look down the door, where the other one is just nice and straight all the way along...

S5000827.jpg

S5000826.jpg

i cant leave it like this and respray the car, it will bug me even more when its perfect apart from that!!!!!

Just wondered if the door lines up at the top and around the lock, I am sure you can make adjustments, but am not sure what planes the door moves in. I think the pin the lock on the door fastens to(striker pin??) can be adjusted (think I did this on a mark 2 golf to sort a door that was out along the rear edge).

If it is just the bottom corner of the door I think I would be talking to the individual who "fixed" it for you.

Rich

have you/they tried adjusting it by the hinges? If it's their mistake and was correct before then you need them to put it right or THEY pay somone else to do it - end of!

Take it back...

In future please use you're existing thread - no point at all starting a new one and linking an old one.

Take it back...

In future please use you're existing thread - no point at all starting a new one and linking an old one.

yeah ok, just wanted to change the title to get peoples attention, can i do that with my other thread? just realised i can change the title doh!!! :lol:

Just wondered if the door lines up at the top and around the lock, I am sure you can make adjustments, but am not sure what planes the door moves in. I think the pin the lock on the door fastens to(striker pin??) can be adjusted (think I did this on a mark 2 golf to sort a door that was out along the rear edge).

If it is just the bottom corner of the door I think I would be talking to the individual who "fixed" it for you.

Rich

thanks, yeah it is just the bottom bit... they are picking it up in the morning to sort it out!! dont trust them though and would rather someone else done it, but i have spent 1500 getting the parts from VW and labour for all the welding and smoothing they done.

have to see what they do this time...

I really hope it's just some "adjustments", as I have that problem. On both doors.. :help:

So please post the results here :(

thanks, yeah it is just the bottom bit... they are picking it up in the morning to sort it out!! dont trust them though and would rather someone else done it, but i have spent 1500 getting the parts from VW and labour for all the welding and smoothing they done.

have to see what they do this time...

Hope you get it sorted,you should talk to trading standards if the quality is still poor.

Rich

hi guys thanks for the sympathy!! luckily a guy from the bodyshop came out this morning, in his car (had to borrow my tools they are that useless), and managed to sort it out...

I werent he but my mum told me that he adjusted and tightened some bolts.. I think he just tightened the door latch bolt up really tight, maybe messed with the hinges a bit, but what ever hes done it looks OK now... the door shuts better and im finally happy for it to go have a respray

Its hard to tell but if you compare the two pics you can see its better... both pics were taken at the same time and you can see less shadow and it actually runs in line with the sill!!

S5000831.jpg

That really is hard to tell. The light spray doesnt help viewing.

Also, if you take the pic 90 degrees to the door, so I can see the vertical gap and bottom horizontal I might be able to pass comment.

Basically there can be a number of reasons IMO for the alignment. Any bodyshop should be able to help you and sort it; even on new production lines they can get quite crude, and simply swing on a door to make it sit straighter. But if its VW you're dealing with, I'd keep going back to them.

If the slack cant be taken out of the adjustment, then I see no reason they cannot put brute force into it. Its an old car. If they refuse, then I'd take it elsewhere. Its quite common for doors to drop, especially if annoying mates swing and hang on them when the door is open. If its not just a drop, it might even be the door is not curved enough? Id need to see the head on pic.

That really is hard to tell. The light spray doesnt help viewing.

Also, if you take the pic 90 degrees to the door, so I can see the vertical gap and bottom horizontal I might be able to pass comment.

Basically there can be a number of reasons IMO for the alignment. Any bodyshop should be able to help you and sort it; even on new production lines they can get quite crude, and simply swing on a door to make it sit straighter. But if its VW you're dealing with, I'd keep going back to them.

If the slack cant be taken out of the adjustment, then I see no reason they cannot put brute force into it. Its an old car. If they refuse, then I'd take it elsewhere. Its quite common for doors to drop, especially if annoying mates swing and hang on them when the door is open. If its not just a drop, it might even be the door is not curved enough? Id need to see the head on pic.

yeak thanks, think it will be fine now, got a new door goin on there probly anyway, so will need to adjust it again!! i thought they had welded in the panel wrong, but seems fine and the lights sit as they did before so im happy with it now...

it is really hard to tell but trust me, before they came out and adjusted it i wasnt happy, it was playing on my mind day and night for 2 days :?

with regards to people hanging on your doors etc...; my girlfriend decided to get out and slam the door on my golf mk3 gti, whilst the window was going up!! good one darling :nono: now a window which worked for 17 years doesnt work anymore... she couldnt understand why i was not amused...!?