Sign in to follow this  
robster

Pistons

Rebuildng second engine soon to replace current one, only thing is that the 2nd engine when i got it was already split as seller needed one piston for his car and removed all other pistons in the process. I have managed to pick up a piston but unfortunately seller can not remember which of the 3 pistons he gave me went in which cylinder.

I plan to replace main and rod bearing, hone the cylinders and put in new rings but am i taking a chance when not knowing which piston originally belonged to which cylinder or will this be ok :shrug: . Pistons are not numbered as it was an early engine.

Engine Code PG

G60

All advice appreciated.

Rebuildng second engine soon to replace current one, only thing is that the 2nd engine when i got it was already split as seller needed one piston for his car and removed all other pistons in the process. I have managed to pick up a piston but unfortunately seller can not remember which of the 3 pistons he gave me went in which cylinder.

I plan to replace main and rod bearing but am i taking a chance when not knowing which piston originally belonged to which cylinder or will this be ok :shrug: . Pistons are not numbered as it was an early engine.

Engine Code PG

G60

All advice appreciated.

If I'm honest with you sound like a recipe for disaster or at least a short engine life. If you want to just hone the bores re-ring the pistons and do the bearing shells I have an engine in store down near Devon. £50 and it's yours, I've never seen the engine and bought it unseen but have just never got round to collecting it. You'd have to collect it though!

Failing that save up and get some new lager pistons and have the engine rebored.

hth

I plan to replace main and rod bearing but am i taking a chance when not knowing which piston originally belonged to which cylinder or will this be ok :shrug: . Pistons are not numbered as it was an early engine.

Engine Code PG

G60

All advice appreciated.

If I'm honest with you sound like a recipe for disaster or at least a short engine life. If you want to just hone the bores re-ring the pistons and do the bearing shells I have an engine in store down near Devon. £50 and it's yours, I've never seen the engine and bought it unseen but have just never got round to collecting it. You'd have to collect it though!

Failing that save up and get some new lager pistons and have the engine rebored.

hth

Oh your in Ireland!! Never mind! :lol:

Engine Code PG

G60

All advice appreciated.

hth

Oh your in Ireland!! Never mind! :lol:

Thanks for the offer though, appreciated, was going to hone the block as well alright

Would cost a few quid with DHL :lol:

Well if the pistons are within spec and your re-ringing them, although not ideal with just honing the bores you should be able to get away with it. I'd check with a professional though it's a lot of effort if it ain't right. Personally I'd just get some new pistons and bore the block. Replacement OE MAHLE pistons cost about £350 but come with new rings pins and pin clips. Pistons that have done over 100K will be worn and probably be out of specification.

pistons worn? Whuh? :shrug:

The rings wear, the bearings wear, the cylinders wear, but not the pistons... The 225K mile pistons that came out of my G60 when it was first rebuilt were in good condition and still within spec... true, the rings were shot and the cylinders worn beyond repair, but the actual pistons were fine... The only ways to screw a piston are to run it mega lean and melt it, or to get contamination in there and physically hit it with something (a valve, swarf or a bolt getting sucked in come to mind as examples from my engines alone! :roll: )

If you're replacing the rings, and re-honing the cylinders, it shouldn't matter a hoot which piston goes in which hole as long as the gudgen pins are retained with the correct pistons... (and you put 'em in the correct way around! :lol: )

This is why you can get oversize rings to go on the original pistons... means you can have a very slight overbore to resolve any cylinder issues and continue to use the original pistons... damned site cheaper than £350 for a slight rebore and a new set of oversize rings!

If you were going to the trouble of new pistons, you may as well go whole hog and take it to 1.9 or further... ;)

If you're replacing the rings, and re-honing the cylinders, it shouldn't matter a hoot which piston goes in which hole as long as the gudgen pins are retained with the correct pistons... (and you put 'em in the correct way around! :lol: )

Cheers Henny,

Pistons have not been seperated from rods so pins in right place :)

Thanks for the help lads, will let yu know how it goes.

Anyone ever tried this cowrd?

www.germanautoparts.com they are US but seem straight enough, parts seem accurate and i am having difficulty getting parts here in Ireland, Rang GSF and they said they don't do and corrado G60 parts :shrug: :brickwall:

pistons worn? Whuh? :shrug:

The rings wear, the bearings wear, the cylinders wear, but not the pistons... The 225K mile pistons that came out of my G60 when it was first rebuilt were in good condition and still within spec... true, the rings were shot and the cylinders worn beyond repair, but the actual pistons were fine... The only ways to screw a piston are to run it mega lean and melt it, or to get contamination in there and physically hit it with something (a valve, swarf or a bolt getting sucked in come to mind as examples from my engines alone! :roll: )

This is why you can get oversize rings to go on the original pistons... means you can have a very slight overbore to resolve any cylinder issues and continue to use the original pistons... damned site cheaper than £350 for a slight rebore and a new set of oversize rings!

If you were going to the trouble of new pistons, you may as well go whole hog and take it to 1.9 or further... ;)

Sorry to inform you of this Henny but pistons do wear. I've stripped a couple of 100k+ blocks in my time and when I've measured the pistons with digital calipers and compared them to the wear limits they have been out of specification, meaning the pistons have been subject to side wall wear. I'm sure many people wouldn't worry but it depends on how long you want the rebuild to last. This is why many new pistons come with areas of molly coating to the front and rear of the pistons to reduce friction and thus wear!

As I say speak to a professional and be sure before going to the trouble and expense of rebuilding it.

Talking of pistons being installed backwards. I remember seeing a picture of your engine when you were replacing the head gasket the first time round and your pistons appear to be from a cross flow SEAT engine were the spark plug is located to the rear of the engine rather than the front as in a G60 engine, so effectivly you seem to have more squish area to the front of the engine which will be pushing the mixture away from the spark plug which is not ideal. Maybe this is the root of your headgasket issues!! :shrug:

Ahhh...

Here we go...a theory that might be worth looking into! :D

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1727&hilit=jdub&start=150

Well anything is worth a try to get it sorted. I think these psitons do have enough meat to them but my concern as I've said is the quench zone and the pistons orientation. Here is the source of identification of those pistons.

EDIT: I've put these through a compression height calculation and they should have a deck height of just under 1mm (0.95mm) below the block surface.

this thread has been split by the mods (at my request)... for the discussion between myself and CTWG60, please see here

Talking of pistons being installed backwards. I remember seeing a picture of your engine when you were replacing the head gasket the first time round and your pistons appear to be from a cross flow SEAT engine were the spark plug is located to the rear of the engine rather than the front as in a G60 engine, so effectivly you seem to have more squish area to the front of the engine which will be pushing the mixture away from the spark plug which is not ideal. Maybe this is the root of your headgasket issues!! :shrug:

Ahhh...

Pistons have an arrow on top of each one which at to be inserted pointed at belt side of block

Will i need bigger rings if just honing the cylinders??

Dont forget me lads :wave:

Ahhh...

Pistons have an arrow on top of each one which at to be inserted pointed at belt side of block

Will i need bigger rings if just honing the cylinders??

Dont forget me lads :wave:

No standard replacement rings.

if you're just honing the block, you shouldn't need bigger rings, just new ones... 8)

The arrow on the piston should, as you say, point towards the pulley end of the engine, but if they're pistons out of a different engine (like mine are) then is doesn't really matter which way around they go as long as they clear and have the quench zone in the right place (which it appears mine may not have...) I'm learning a lot today... this has really got my juices going again to get this thing running once more... 8) :notworthy: :notworthy:

*edit* bugger, beaten to it! :lol: At least we agreed on this! :lol: :wink:

if you're just honing the block, you shouldn't need bigger rings, just new ones... 8)

The arrow on the piston should, as you say, point towards the pulley end of the engine, but if they're pistons out of a different engine (like mine are) then is doesn't really matter which way around they go as long as they clear and have the quench zone in the right place (which it appears mine may not have...) I'm learning a lot today... this has really got my juices going again to get this thing running once more... 8) :notworthy: :notworthy:

*edit* bugger, beaten to it! :lol: At least we agreed on this! :lol: :wink:

Pistons are genuine PG engine pistons so should be ok

Glad I could help in some way to getting you sorted :clap: