Sign in to follow this  
corozin

Mk1 Golf that's quicker than a Veyron...

Allegedly. We need the Stig to verify...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... gatti.html>

A 1979 Volkswagen Golf bought for £50 is now allegedly faster than a Bugatti Veyron supercar following a £60,000 facelift.

Father-of-three Andy Waite, 42, who owns a bodyshop near Newmarket, Suffolk, bought the Mk1 1.5 litre Golf for £50, nearly £900,000 less than the price of the Bugatti, the world's most expensive car.

But after he modified the car to include a custom-built turbocharged engine, the Golf can hit speeds of 0-60mph in just 2.36 seconds - a tenth faster than the Veyron. The Golf, with a 700bhp and 1850cc turbocharged engine has a top speed of 180mph and can also beat the Bugatti in a quarter-mile sprint.

"I took the chassis and shredded it up to make an absolute beast. The engine is custom-made and it has a roll cage like rally cars," said Mr Waite, of Fordham Cambs. He is leading the Eurosport Compact Chassis drag race at the Santa Pod raceway in Northamptonshire.

"The tinkering's only just begun. I want to do a quarter mile in nine seconds," he said.

"It drives like a normal road car at low speeds but when I put it on the drag track you realise you have created a monster."

But he conceded: "The biggest problem is that once you get over 160 you can only drive it in a straight line because the steering goes wobbly..."

yeah, got shown that today at work too!

not quite sure where he's spent £60k though?? that must be more engine rebuilds than you John! :wink: (sorry!)

Seriously that car is an animal having seen it launch at the pod, my god its quick.

If you saw the car you really could appreciate the amount of money thats gone into it.

I've seen this car from the start line at Santa Pod and North Weald and it is astounding! I think he will be at GTI festival and the London Volksfest, if you've not seen this in action, it will blow your mind. Ditto Mark Gunns Corrado and James Hodgson's MK2 Golf.

got to look around this when it was at players show last year, the work in it is fantastic :-)

amd yeah, if you see/hear it launching downa strip near you it sticks with you, v v v fast... for a mk1 shed :lol:

Saw that in the paper yesterday too, just said it had a modified engine (oh really - never would have guessed, lol) does anyone know anything more about the engine? Never seen that car before.

There's an R36 Turbo with 4wd which is probably pretty nippy! Pretty sure that does a sub 10 sec quarter. Youtube it.

will have a look when i get home, works cpu doesnt download video, its like looking at a slide show...

wasn't there a seriously lightened, blackbird engined RWD MKI too which was stupidly quick 0-60? Seem to remember seeing it at the last Ed38 I went to.... From memory, that was in the 2.5 second range for 0-60... :eek:

*EDIT* close, it was a Hayabusa TURBO engined RWD MKI Golf... :eek: :cuckoo: [youtube:2mcq85h7]3Xdks-j3yt0[/youtube:2mcq85h7][youtube:2mcq85h7]fUH8S5wvK0M[/youtube:2mcq85h7]

wasn't there a seriously lightened, blackbird engined RWD MKI too which was stupidly quick 0-60? Seem to remember seeing it at the last Ed38 I went to.... From memory, that was in the 2.5 second range for 0-60... :eek:

not as fast as my corrado then :lol:

i will find the link later but it was/is a 4wd mk1 1.8t with a gt35 running 34psi and nitrous, it was kicking out 1100bhop and 740lb :shock:

i will find the link later but it was/is a 4wd mk1 1.8t with a gt35 running 34psi and nitrous, it was kicking out 1100bhop and 740lb :shock:

FLUCK ME! :shock: I wonder how long it does between rebuilds :lol:

FLUCK ME! :shock: I wonder how long it does between rebuilds :lol:

About a 1/4 mile i would think!

from zero to sixty bits, yes yours is probably faster!

from zero to sixty bits, yes yours is probably faster![/quote:1attaiky]

yeah true, someone made sure of that for me :(

Yeh Henny, quite surprising what they managed with that, considering its such a small engine - comparatively for a car; must keep it light.

I remember a green Mk1 going banzi at Inters one year; sure it was sub 3.

The green dubweiser mk1 has a 2.2 audi turbo engine in it, last i heard circa 700bhp but was getting redone for more power.

Andy Waites white mk1 is something like 500bhp 20vt with 200 nos on top. Its fast off the line, but when he hits 2nd and 3rd you can see the car squirming a bit side to side, @ spring fest he killed 4th gear going up the pod and still did an 11+ 1/4