Sign in to follow this  
oldskoolkool

new engine woop

right thought id say a little on what ive been doing!

basically my engine wasnt the best (2.0 16v) so i bought an engine agessss ago in the order to do alot of work to so my signiture says i did most of the work lightend,balanced crank balanced pistons and a few other bits but i ran out of cash and i wanted to gasflow the head (lots of pennies).

so time went on and i soldierd on with my smokey noisy 2.0 untill an engine popped up on edition 38 which had everything done to it that i wanted so i snapped it up £400 later i have a 1.8 16v with shrink cams gasflowed head and running 174 bhp with gragh to prove ace!!!

ive also got an ashley 4 branch which im so putting of wrapping lol and a 52 mm inlet with gasflowed TB and k&n filter and today i recieved my lightened n balanced flywheel (hench the tourque figures in my other thred) it was 9.78 kgs and they got it down to 5.36 kgs :clap: so hopfully looking at a good power curve i hope :roll:

ive now just been spending every night this week cleaning the engine bay up while old engine is out and cleanig and painting the new engine, tonight i had the tedius job of cleaning and painting stupid brakets lol

i hope to put it in on the week end i shall keep you all posted on whats going on as im sure you really not bothered haha but your gona hear it any way haha

ive also be renewing all the rear suspention parts ill write that up with pics another time

any way ill get pics up tomorow hope you engoy

liam

Right it's in eventually I'll do a big write up when I get time! I'm really bot impressed it's slower than my old nakerd 2.0???? It's really flat and timings as far advanst as possible! It's just gutless really gutless! The mods are as follows shrink cams gasflowed head 4 branch , lightened flywheel, 52mm tb and inlet track does any one have these sort of mods and what sort of bhp should it roughthly be pushing? Any answeres or help would be great thank youuuuu

Liam

what have you done with the fuel system, do you have K-jet or KE-jet on it, has it been set up at all, are the cams properly timed together, aftermarket cams are notorious for being difficult to get spot on for power delivery.

A 1.8 to your spec should be OK to drive at low revs but open up like crazy at 4,000 revs onwards.

just so am clear here, you replaced a 2lt with an upgraded 1.8?

the gains normally run the other swap/way round, you'll be fighting against the cat and management/ lambda if ur still on kE Jet

what you gonna do at mot time?!

I'll worry about that in a years time as I got a new mot last week with the old engine lol

The engine was setup before but I can't use that ecu so using my standard 9a ecu the cams are as they were and it ran well in the old car ( I drove b4 buying) I've got the 9a fueling as I need two fuel pipes to run k jet! It's really flat the whole way up the scale! I have noticed a conciderable increase of induction noise tho!? ?? Any more ideas guys ????

Ta very much for your help :-)

emission controls were made stricter in the early 90's when four star fuel was discontinued, this required later cars to come with better management (KE Jet) and catalytic converters...... these factors led to a substantial loss of power in the 16v - which VW offset by puting the 2ltr in.

my guess is your tuned 1.8 is being restricted by the engine management which is detecting wild emission readings to what they should be.

i don't know the 2ltr well enuff myself, maybe you can take the cat out, maybe you can use KJet as per the donor car which may sort the problem.... until MOT time.

have you got the knock sensors running on nthe 1.8 block?

I'd imagine if you are running the 9a system without them it will back the timing off massively as the ECU will think something is wrong and put it in limp home mode.

I've never heard of 1.8 running on KE-jet 9a management, let alone with aftermarket cams, I doubt the lambda could cope with that at all.

It really would be better to get it running on the 1.8 K-jet setup, you'd need a re-map as a minimum to run it on the 9A system.

I've got both knock sensors conneceted altho one is in a different place ! An I have no cat now as I has to modify my exhaust for the 4 branch. But surely the engines them selves are identical? And I it possible to put k jet on it as the plugs are alot diffenet like on the Fuse box there different or am I gona have to modify it? Is there a way of mapping my 9a ecu? I asked before if I could fit this engine and people said they are the same and use my fueling and management :roll: help lol it's so slow

Thanks liam

the engine blocks are identical besides cc's, the management is not, the 9a management has much better emission control.

i hate to be down in the mouth about this, but this is the first time i've ever heard of anyone swapping a 2ltr for a 1.8ltr which is a straight up loss of power even when offset by the mods you have, i'd really want to speak to the person who told you otherwise if i was you :shock: i can only think people were assuming you were doing it the other way round

hopefully someone who knows the 9a can advise what your best options are :(

There is an engine code PL which has lambda for running the cat and is basically a cat version of the KR 1.8 16v, I'd imagine that is essentially a 1.8 running on 2L type management/fuel system.

Some tuners used to offer chip tuning for the 9A system, but I have no idea if anyone still offers it, you could try Stealth. But even Vince there seems to dislike the 9A system, perhaps he just doesn't know a lot about it, it can be a bugger to diagnose as there's little in the way of fault finding help from the ECU.

I think PhilK on here converted a 9a to run on plain K-jet. can't be that difficult, KE jet on the 9A is based on K-jet anyway.

I think your suspect areas are knock sensors, lambda probe and possible the temp sensors that feed the ECU. That's just from memory of other faulty 9A's I've heard of.

I'd seriously look for a 2L bottom end and try to get it running right on standard cams first, lot of work but it would be better than dealing with so many unknowns at the same time.

i recieved my lightened n balanced flywheel

Can you let me know who did this and how much? Seems like an awesome saving on an OEM flywheel

have you got the knock sensors running on nthe 1.8 block?

I'd imagine if you are running the 9a system without them it will back the timing off massively as the ECU will think something is wrong and put it in limp home mode.

Not so sure on that one matey.

I'd want to see that with a timing gun before I believed it. :)

Knock sensors are just passive devices,unless the ecu's are looking for the background noise they produce under normal running?!?