Sign in to follow this  
DanVW

G60 Emmissions

Hey All,

I failed the Dutch MOT today on a few things but my main worry is the emmissions...

Apparently at 3000rpm it should be reading 3.5somethings and it was reading 11somethings :-(

(the tester did try and explain in Dutch but that was all I could get)

So its booked in to a local garage tomorrow to quote and (if I can afford it) get it all fixed, so whats the most likey cause for sky high readings from a G60 that has only done about 2k miles in the last 15months, I had the CAT changed in Oct 2007 so I'm thinking Lamda, although I havent checked and adjusted the values on the BTS but it was fine the last time I looked.

Guess the blowing exhaust wont help but could that really cause it to be this far out. And probably sitting round not being driven for the best part of a year and a half and 6 month old petrol hasnt helped :? but just need a few obvious things I should check.

Cheers

Dan

hmm..

do they have different laws there?

Yours is 92 is it not?

I know up to a certain month in 92 you don't have to pass a fast idle test in the UK.

Just have to have a clean idle.

blowing exhaust letting air into the system and confusing the lambda will not help mate.

Yea I tried to find out if he was testing under 92 levels but my Dutch wasnt good enough :( anyway its booked in to the garage tomorrow and they are fully quilified to do the work and the retest, had a quick chat with them on the phone and his English is really good so will get the rules out of him :-)

Weird bit is the leak is way down by the rear axle and its quite small I thought only leaks upstream of the lambda would affect the fueling, unless it was a big hole of course? :(

Yea I tried to find out if he was testing under 92 levels but my Dutch wasnt good enough :( anyway its booked in to the garage tomorrow and they are fully quilified to do the work and the retest, had a quick chat with them on the phone and his English is really good so will get the rules out of him :-)

Weird bit is the leak is way down by the rear axle and its quite small I thought only leaks upstream of the lambda would affect the fueling, unless it was a big hole of course? :(

i was oing to ask where the leak was..

well good luck.Let us know the outcome. :)

Well word from the garage was between 700 to 1000 Euros depending on if he needs to change the CAT and the Lambda probe :-( but it is a fairly hefty list of stuff to fix and he thinks 6 hours of labour (he obviously never worked on a raddo before :lol: )

Well word from the garage was between 700 to 1000 Euros depending on if he needs to change the CAT and the Lambda probe :-( but it is a fairly hefty list of stuff to fix and he thinks 6 hours of labour (he obviously never worked on a raddo before :lol: )

do u you have a driveway?

did you ask him about doing the fast idle test?

what are the idle emissions like anyway?

Are they borderline?

11?! thats very rich mate,not suprised it failed,3.5 is the limit on fast idle and tickover for your year....no cat or lambda will fix that high co!

The exhaust blowing will knock out the lambda readings but it will remain rich and as its failed on Co then the lambda will be fine so your exhaust leak is not affecting the test

have you tried to adjust the co?

i don't think the CO pot comes into affect at 3.5k rpm..

I think it is just the idle mix.

But it will adjust the overall mixture? what was the readings on idle?

Thanks for the responses chaps, sorry I never got back with the levels I've been away with work.

Good news is though I got back yesterday to a call from the garage and she is all fixed and ready to be registered in Holland :clap:

They changed the CAT and Lambda so the emmissions are now bang on, and it was much cheaper than I thought, the CAT was 235 Euros and the Lambda was 95 Euros 8)

Cheers

Dan

Thanks for the responses chaps, sorry I never got back with the levels I've been away with work.

Good news is though I got back yesterday to a call from the garage and she is all fixed and ready to be registered in Holland :clap:

They changed the CAT and Lambda so the emmissions are now bang on, and it was much cheaper than I thought, the CAT was 235 Euros and the Lambda was 95 Euros 8)

Cheers

Dan

:thumbleft: