Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Show me your Car-seats & buggys! (seriously!)

Ok after making a decision on what travel system to buy for Jr... being the Recaro/Mclaren XLR... I have a slight issue.

The Recaro Profi-plus seat fits into the Recaros in the car fine, so all is good there... and matching! :norty:

BUT!

The Bloody McLaren XLR buggy doesn't come anywhere close to fitting the boot! :censored:

So looks like the idea of combined carseat/buggy travel system is out the window...

So for those with kids... and a Corrado, what buggy's do you have?

there aint many buggys that fit nicely in the boot we bought 2 a basic buggy for the car and decent one for my misses but my nipper is 10monyhs now so its easier

I sympathise with you mate, Amy and I once made the mistake of trying to take my niece on a day out in the corrado and my brother uses some kind of all in one buggy/cot/chair system and in the end we had to fold down half the rear seat to fit it all in. Safe it is, compact it isn't! :?

Yeah, gotta agree with both of the above, I went and tried countless seats/buggies in the rado and had to accept that rados just aren't suitable for babies! It can be done but not comfortably! :(

If you're adamant that you're going to use the rado as a family car, then you need to go to a Mothercare (or whatever) and find a buggy that you will be able to cram into the boot by trying them all, but obviously you need to bare in mind that if you want to take much else as well as the buggy, you might find that it's impossible to get ANYTHING other than the buggy in :(

The car seat/buggy systems are fantastic though, I have a cradle that sits in the car perminantly which the car seat just clips in/out of, so if my boys asleep in the car seat we can just lift it out in seconds, it worth it's weight in gold to not have to piss around in those situations! :lol:

Is your rado going to be the primary car for junior? or just for now and then occasions?

I've had a couple of critters now and my top advice about travel systems would probably be 'don't bother' they are usually expensive and neither one thing or another size and capability wise.

The only time it is useful is when they are really tiny and you don't want to disturb them from sleeping in the car to going for a walk, shopping etc.

realistically we hardly ever did that.

After a while you realise that a small light buggy/stroller that is easy to hump about and folds small and takes up little space is what you really need and possibly a larger sturdier buggy, like pneumatic tyred 3 wheeler for longer outside walks like off-roading :) etc.

We had a M&P large folding buggy and matching car seat (Pliko or something) and TBH the quality of the car seat was fine but the rest of the system pretty suspect, it wasn't that big but still struggled diagonally in the boot of a mk4.

The best ever buy was a Mothercare Urban detour 3 wheeler, in fact we had two at different times, a twin and a single, very sturdy, look comfy and the way they folded and with all 3 wheels quick release, meant it would fit in the back of most cars.

Edit: Reading walesy's post, I think the most important thing is to work out what your needs are, where you go and what would suit you best, don't buy based on how smart the seat and buggy system looks, my sister spent about 600 quid on a travel system and only ever used the car seat, she then bought a 70 quid buggy.

Thing is with the strollers though, is they're fine for an older kid but you can't use them with tiny babies (and for the first 6 months or so?)

EDIT - and my experience with the travel system thing is the exact opposite, but I spose that's how it goes, all kids are different :lol:

the mothercare urban detour (admittedly not a stroller, but did fold up compact) had a neat furry insert to support tiny ones, will try to find a pic.

sadly I don't think they do them any more, but this is the sort of thing:

http://www.mothercare.com/Maxi-Cosi-Mur ... 1&mcb=core

suitable from birth, you need one with quick release wheels ideally for space saving

We use a Mamas and Papas Pliko Pramette, a bit dear but it folds down enough to go in the Rado's boot without taking up all the room. It's adaptable for new borns up to toddlers. Try before you buy is my advice, particularly with the seats. They do fit Rado's, find a good shop and try a few.

you could try the quinny zapp or a quicksmart something..

customers ask about what fits in a mini.. these are the ones most go for.

also that one from the apprentice? But i think it has no sides for babies..

CVheers Baron, the Quinny Zapp looks plenty small enough... will send the missus to look at one on Sunday when I'm at the Pod, getting Pod-face! :cheers:

Just had a little un myself. Took me a long time to find the perfect rado nipper carrier that we both liked. I went for a bebe confort streety travel system which is super compact, well built and quite snazzy. It fits neatly into my corrado`s boot from left to right along with a boot install of 3 fosgate amps and a sub box! theres even room for a shopping bag or two. Its suitable from birth up to about 4 years old. The pushchair can face both ways, pushchair reclines flat for sleeping in. Because its a travel system the car seat can mount onto the pushchair base for when little un is new born. Its really simple to fold and open and comes with a foot muff and rain cover and sun shade. Car seat fits ok into the corrado but the passenger will have to sit up a little and loose some leg space. rrp was £299 but i managed to pick up a brand new one on the bay in oxygen red for £79!

video showing folding

not a bad deal at kiddicare.com http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_363_10751_-1__59957_10001_

we're expecting our first in December :D but i never realised what a minefield pram/ buggy/ car seat selection is!

this thread is therefore v useful, keep those comments/ recommendations coming..

Ended up with a Quinny Buzz (thanks to Yeti seeing one cheap at work)

For the car a Recaro Profi-plus, which was only one we tried that fitted properly in the rear seats, and Just happens to go with the Reacro interior! (which is nice!) That was a REAL bargain, £50 brand new (RRP£135ish) from Smyths...