Sign in to follow this  
maff

Vr6 gearbox removal?

Hi all,

I think my thrust bearing has collapsed inside my gearbox as ive got hardly any clutch pedal resistance apart from a bit right at the end of its travel and i have a rattling sound on tickover which goes away if the clutch pedal is depressed. Now id like to do the job myself but does anybody know if the gearbox will come out without removing the subframe? also what is the best clutch kit to go for on a 93 vr6? many thanks matt.

Have you checked the slave cylinder isn't leaking? It's on top of the gearbox behind the shift tower.

The rattling at tick over (worse when hot I assume) will either be the shock absorber springs in the friction plate, or layshaft/input shaft bearings in the gearbox. Neither are serious.

Yep, the box comes out without dropping the subframe but the gearbox flanges tend to catch on things as the gaps are very tight. I find it's easier to take off the offside flange altogether, need to drain the box oil first.

As for clutch. Hard to recommend anything these days. Quality is so patchy now. Every clutch I put in my VR judders, despite replacing flywheels etc at the same time. Can't recommend a dealer one at the minute either. Even my mate's MK5 Golf needed a new clutch after 20K from judderging problems.

If it's not slipping, leave it! Just fix the other issue.

Gearbox certainly comes off with the engine and subframe etc all still in, I had to do it last winter to do my timing chains ... all I can say is have fun :lol:

Yeah have checked the slave cylinder and no leaks anywhere. Gonna get the gearbox off and have a ganders as to whats wrong but pretty sure its the thrust bearing, even a second opinion from my morgan mechanic buddy says its the bearing so hope it is. Am a bit weary of putting a new clutch in also as clutch was always supersmooth before this problem. Kinda thought the gearbox would come out without to much bother as there seems to be a bit of room down there, not like when i took the gearbox off my old 16v clio which was a pig but still only took an hour! thanks for replies guys much appreciated, this is my second vr and i love em to bits cant see me ever selling it :D