Sign in to follow this  
rado-steve

Anyone Know How to Sell a Number Plate????

Got a number plate on my car...Just had it valued.......How do i sell privately??

Cheers

Steve

It depends if it is a cherished number or the original number. If it is a cherished number then put it on retention for £105 this includes the assignment fee to transfer it to another car. Then advertise for the price you want and sell it.

If it is the original number then I am unsure but I would think you will have to purchase a cherished number to put on your car and the sell the original.

hope this helps Ian

Oooooh, how much is yours worth? Just had mine valued too. 8) J22 AMC which apparently looks like James?! Was very pleasantly surprised so the sale of the Golf is on hold at the moment. Done an HPI and the original plate was J379 MRO so I'm assuming that just goes back onto it or if that's not available they allocate another J plate.

I think that is also the case if the plate was the original one. I think the DVLA just allocate another plate with no need to purchase another cherished one. But that is just an assumption. :shrug: Best ask them I suppose.

J85 GSR Was on the Corrado I just bought, just had it valued at £300!!! Can't be sniffed at I spose! If I'm scrapping the car then I don't need another plate do I???

That's cool dude. Is that what you'd get for it private sale or is that what you'd get back if somewhere like reg transfers sold it on your behalf?

That's cool dude. Is that what you'd get for it private sale or is that what you'd get back if somewhere like reg transfers sold it on your behalf?

They value it at a retail sale of £699!!!!! :cuckoo: Bit on the pricey side I say!!!

They value it at a retail sale of £699!!!!! :cuckoo: Bit on the pricey side I say!!!

Mine's ranged so far from £400 to £1500 (the latter being considerably more than I paid for the whole car) depending on whether or not they think they have someone that would be interested in it. Just got as many valuations as possible.

Apparently mine is good because the two numbers are the same. Bit of a result really. :D

It may be worth getting someone like reg transfers to sell it for you and at the same time maybe advertising it privately.

your car will go back to its original number unless its changed in a different registration area,ie if your car was orignally reg'd in Aberdeen and you take the number off and re-register it in say London it will be given a spare London area reg that is age related to it,obviously this won't be the case if it started off with a cherished number

btw these reg valuations I'd take with the biggest bucket of salt available

You're just jealous cos you don't have one. :tongue: :lol:

To be honest if it was only worth £50 I'd be happy with that! It's £50 I didn't have before and I haven't had to do anything to get it. 8)

To be honest if it was only worth £50 I'd be happy with that! It's £50 I didn't have before and I haven't had to do anything to get it. 8)

I have 2 private plates that must be worth millions as they are single number prefix's

:wave:

I have 2 private plates that must be worth millions as they are single number prefix's

:wave:

I'll get my coat then.... :lol:

He's right. They give you a big valuation just to get you on their books. I had COL19V valued at over £1500. Great if you were Colin who drove a 16V Renault 19. But nobody called Colin who drove a Renault 19 wanted it. So it went when the car was scrapped.

He's right. They give you a big valuation just to get you on their books. I had COL19V valued at over £1500. Great if you were Colin who drove a 16V Renault 19. But nobody called Colin who drove a Renault 19 wanted it. So it went when the car was scrapped.

Yeah, I've been thinking how you would actually sell a plate privately anyway. Where would you advertise it? Looked at Ebay and there are millions of plates all with no bids. :lol: Think the only thing you could do is sell it through Reg Transfers or the like. But you only get money when they sell it. And there's no guarantee they would do that any time soon.

I'm surprised you couldn't find a buyer for yours though. There presumably must be a market for them somewhere....

I've sold two or three, just advertised them round the forums, Pistonheads, have two just now for sale, R20 VAG and R3 GVW :wave:

Found this one for my van a few years ago, nice winter pic :)

PICT0262 (Large).JPG[/attachment:1wmlbh1u]

Incidentally, when you went to sell yours where did you get them valued and how accurate where the valuations?

Don't forget that DVLA will not only charge you £105 to put the cherised numberplate on retention, they also charge you to issue you with a standard numberplate (varies, but the assignment fee part of that used to be £78) and also the new plate owner has to pay DVLA a £78 fee (on top of what he's paid you) to have the cherished numberplate assigned to him.

Basically the DVLA have got themselves a proper little racket going. You need to factor all these costs into how you approach selling/buying a cherished plate.

BTW the best cherished Corrado plate I've known was Mr Brookes' legendary G60 GO (G6 OGO) which he had about 10 years ago & then sold to a MkII Golf owner. There's currently an Aston DB9 in Bournemouth with FA51 CAR on the bumper which I think is one of the better "new generation" cherished plate combinations

Incidentally, when you went to sell yours where did you get them valued and how accurate where the valuations?

Don't forget that DVLA will not only charge you £105 to put the cherised numberplate on retention, they also charge you to issue you with a standard numberplate (varies, but the assignment fee part of that used to be £78) and also the new plate owner has to pay DVLA a £78 fee (on top of what he's paid you) to have the cherished numberplate assigned to him.

Basically the DVLA have got themselves a proper little racket going. You need to factor all these costs into how you approach selling/buying a cherished plate.

BTW the best cherished Corrado plate I've known was Mr Brookes' legendary G60 GO (G6 OGO) which he had about 10 years ago & then sold to a MkII Golf owner. There's currently an Aston DB9 in Bournemouth with FA51 CAR on the bumper which I think is one of the better "new generation" cherished plate combinations

So if my plate is only worth £400 I'm not gonna have much left even if I just sell it straight off the car.

I have the V317 form in front of me which is the one you use to transfer or retain a vehicle reg number. It doesn't mention an assignment fee for the standard numberplate. It just says "the vehicle in section 2 will be given a replacement registration number appropriate to its age". So where do they sneak the other charge in then? The only thing they ask for on this form is the £105.

the £105 fee includes £25 retention for a year AND the transfer fee(£80)

the donor car just gets an age related replacement plate,the DVLA don't charge any extra

or if you transfer from one car direct to another eg when you change vehicles then its only the £80 transfer fee required

when the missus changed from her SportKa to her Freelander 2 in October 2007 thats all we had to pay at any rate

Yeah thats right £105 to put on retention including assignment to next owners vehicle or £80 for a straight transfer. People like regtransfers etc. don't include transfer fee in there value.

ian