Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

My Suspension Story :-(

Hi,

Thought I would post my recent suspension change story to see if anyone can shed any light.

I have a VR6 which was fitted with a Bilstein Sprintline Kit when I bought it. Its always been a terribly hard & rock solid ride but the car handled without fault. Its had a full suspension rebush and full stealth alignment and was running on very worn Toyo T1R's.

It went in for KW V1's fitted by a well regarded Northen VW Garage- in addition it had a new N/S wheel bearing, new droplinks and new wishones fitted with Powerflex polybushes. It was 4-wheel aligned by the fitting garage and then again by a local tyre fitting place who made quite a large correction on the tracking

The ride is really plush but the handling is really bad, the car tramlines, feel unstable at speed and torque steers. Something strange happens to the steering on turn-in- there is no progression and it suddenly turns in really quickly (almost like the back steps out). It feels like its the N/S wheel thats often doing its own thing. There are no clunks or funny sounds and no slack in the steering at all. I am bit annoyed that I have spent the about a grand turning a B road weapon into a something that dissapoints me ever time I take it out.

Has anyone got any thoughts or ideas about things I could check? For example is there any way the coilovers or wheel bearing might have been fitted incorrectly, could a full stealth alignment correct such a big difference etc etc- any help welcome :)

Mike

Just sounds like the allignment is out, you need to get it setup by someone who can do the full 4 wheel and camber etc.

i'm in the same situation, same suspension KW v1.

I think it can only be the geometry on mine, i've changed everything else, apart from steering rack.

unless its somehow related to an engine mount or sub frame mountings, i really don't know

laser alignment - tyre fitters are renown for bodgering; camber and toe

its the first cheapest option

Presume you've not changed wheels or tyres in thips process. Even if you had changed tyres, I'd expect to be able to find a good ride.