Sign in to follow this  
bigbluec

Removing door strips?

Hi guys was wondering how difficult it is to remove the hard rubber door strips? are they glued and if so what are the chances that i'll end up ripping a chunk of paint off!?

Cheers in advance

from reading other posts its dead easy (bodyshop just left mine off when it was resprayed)

They're glued on, but you have to heat them a little so the glue softens and it doesnt take any paint off, then a bit of elbow grease to get the rest of the glue off. keep in mind the paint underneith may have faded depending on the colour of you car.

Do a search for 'door strips' 'bump strips' and 'rubbing strips' you're sure to find all the advice you need.

A good tip that I was given that sounds mental but actually works really well is to remove them as best you can which will leave the glue on the side of the car. Then you get a jerry can of petrol and a rag and apply the petrol to the foam on the body and it goes really gooey and comes off so much easier. Was a bit reluctant to pour petrol all over the side of my car but it worked well. Was pointless though as I ended up sticking mine back on to prevent another dent! :mad: