Sign in to follow this  
G-Lad

VR6 coolant air lock?

excuse the potentially newbie question. A search of topics seems to imply the answer but id just like to be sure:

Am i correct in thinking that its impossible to get an airlock in the coolant on a vr6, if your electric water pump is working? I understand that if refilling, you simply need to keep the top of the expansion tank (which is off already is you refill from there), them turn the ignition to position 1 and let the electric pump push the air out.

I need to know, as i need to swap the temp sender that is about a 1/3 of the way up the rad.

I have 3l of G12+ ready, on the assumption ill be able to whip the old one out and pop the new one in without fully emptying the system (it was recently refilled when the thermostat was replaced).

Nope, you can still get an airlock despite the electric pump. You shouldn't lose much coolant changing the sensor over, but, you should still run the car up with the cap off the expasion tank to allow air to move aroud the system. The electric pump won't push the air out by itself sadly, or at least hasn't in my experience.

any top tips for avoiding an air lock? I was thinking of topping the expansion tank to the brim with water, to avoid actually losing sight of liquid in the tank..

I too filled through expansion tank upto max mark, put cap on, ran engine until fans kicked in and then off, let it cool and topped up. This is the way the bentley manual says to do it. I haven't had any problem since

cheers

mart