Sign in to follow this  
emirc

02A gearbox R.I.P - other possible options?

So, this weekend I'm driving my C down the road when suddenly... Pics says more than words :epicfail:

Corrado92.pdf13072009191.jpg[/attachment:1lsqll3b]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf13072009190.jpg[/attachment:1lsqll3b]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf13072009188.jpg[/attachment:1lsqll3b]ETKA Corrado.pdf13072009189.jpg[/attachment:1lsqll3b]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf13072009192.jpg[/attachment:1lsqll3b]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf13072009193.jpg[/attachment:1lsqll3b]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf13072009194.jpg[/attachment:1lsqll3b]13072009195.jpg[/attachment:1lsqll3b]

After my mechanic took everything out and figured he can't find 02A VR6 transmission in reasonable shape anywhere in my beloved country, after some thinking he told me that he could fit MK5 transmission inside without any major modifications. I was stunned because I couldn't find much informations about this conversion on my favorite forum(s)...

Anyway, could this work - and how??

Regards,

Emir

The 02J gearbox from the mk4 is essentially the same as the 02A

so you should be able to transfer the cogs and bits into your VR bellhousing, probably even reusing the old shift tower, unless you want to convert to the mk4 shifter and gearlever at the same time.

I spoke to Vince about this ages ago and VR6/24V gearboxes are 6 cyl specific.

If it were possible to put a 4 cylinder 02M (S3, TT, MK5 GTI, TDis etc) into my VR6 bell housing, I'd have done it ages ago!

And 02M transmission from 6 cylinder engines also can't be used because it's 6-speed and 4WD system, right?

The 2nd and 3rd gear started to grind while shifting well before this "catastrophic event" happened. Syncro rings doesn't actually look worn out considering other damage. Differential racers, as you can see, also were on they way out.

I have this car for almost 4 years now. In my early days of ownership I drove it rather mercilessly, playing with gearbox totaly unnecessary, which resulted in fast shifting while clutch was not fully engaged, shifting too early or too late, shifting from 2nd to 4th, and other games... And this was done more than once, in my opinion, every time doing irreversible damage to transmission system.

Lesson learned. :( Be gentle as you can be to your VW GB.