Sign in to follow this  
waynos

20vt conversion question

just dropped a 20vt into my rado g60, I have a problem ... the cam cover touches the brake master cylinder. you can sort of see it in the pic

DSC00373.jpg

now the cylinder looks similar to the one pictured below, difference being it doesnt have an outlet screwed onto on the right hand side (does have that same shape though and thats what is hittin the cam cover)

DSC00194.jpg

can i file this down ? i dont want to run without a cam cover!

wooo its a prob, remember the flex in the engine under acceleration, have you the clearance to maybe cut a small section off the cam cover?

i dont think you can file enough off the master cyl.

myn doesnt toutch it nearly does, im 99% sure my master cylinder isnt the same as that and that the pipes come out the bottom mate theres no bits stuck out like that if that makes sense. but the car isnt at my house

myn was a 1995 2.0 16v if it stops raining il go look at my other rado a 93 2.0 16v outside and see what thats like.

looking from the front or in the car mate? either way this is myn i havnt changed it from the standard one, it does miss the engine cover if this helps without mods, this is the one in myn.

master.jpg

as ya can see a pipe comes out the bottom and one on the rear left as we look at it, looks like a diff version to the one above,myn has abs but wouldnt know if there not the same on a g60 etc.

hope that helps.

ok kool thanks for that, ive got a valver sitting on my drive doing nothing, might see if that one is different and use that (means bleeding the brakes though)

had a nice chap pull up in an oak green mk2 golf today whilst i was working on the car. Turns out he has a 20vt ! had a look at his master cylinder and his was the same type as mine, he had cut it right back with no problems. Ive done the same and now the cam cover just clears it. So if you are doing this conversion, it is possible

I had to cut a small piece out of the cambelt cover when i fitted my 20vt, also had to remove some of the sound deadening from under the bonnet as the throttle body sits very closely to the bonnet.

yea im gunna take the sound deadening out because its kind of perishing away leaving a muddy looking dust everywhere