Sign in to follow this  
zaidi

Rebuilding VR6 Engine to cope with a T3/T4 Turbo!

Hi Guys,

I want to put the T3/T4 turbo in my Corrado VR6.

I have brought an ABV VR6 engine and want to rebuild it so it can handle the turbo, I want to be running around 300hp.

The engine has done 50k miles, thats what it said on the clock (doubt its real though).

What parts should i buy/replace for rebuilding the VR6, can you list the essential parts first please.

If im building the turbo kit myself, what are the parts that i will need.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

If you want an engine pre-built ready for turbo then buy mine :cheers: Much higher miles but rebuilt with spacer head gasket to lower the compression and used ARP non-stretch head and conrod bolts. Did chains etc as well so it's got plenty of life in it yet, it's just begging for a turbo on it :lol:

Just get the Kinetics Stage 1 kit. 6psi non intercooled. Bolt it straight on and get 300 horse. Happy days.

Really that easy?? :wink:

Would imagine that it would be more involved.... Also how much does this cost?

Just get the Kinetics Stage 1 kit. 6psi non intercooled. Bolt it straight on and get 300 horse. Happy days.

If you've got a spare $3500 that is.... :D

If you've got a spare $3500 that is.... :D

That's not a lot really, but then I doubt it will be able to handle a lot more so as soon as you want more power (which you will) it will start costing a lot more!

If you want an engine pre-built ready for turbo then buy mine :cheers: Much higher miles but rebuilt with spacer head gasket to lower the compression and used ARP non-stretch head and conrod bolts. Did chains etc as well so it's got plenty of life in it yet, it's just begging for a turbo on it :lol:

How much do you want to sell the engine for, and where are you located. Would you do a swap for mine and i give you some cash on top?

How much do you want to sell the engine for, and where are you located. Would you do a swap for mine and i give you some cash on top?

I'm in Northamptonshire, wouldn't be interested in a swap as the reason I took mine out is I have put an R32 lump in mine so would have no need for another VR lump. I'd be looking for about £500 and it's sitting here ready for someone to come take it away, just needs cleaning up a bit.

I'm in Northamptonshire, wouldn't be interested in a swap as the reason I took mine out is I have put an R32 lump in mine so would have no need for another VR lump. I'd be looking for about £500 and it's sitting here ready for someone to come take it away, just needs cleaning up a bit.

Hi mate, you said the chains and stuff were replaced and a you put a headgasket spacer. So whats the compression ratio its running at the moment.

What else did you replace, did you do the stem seals, bearings, and all the other smaller bits and bobs.

It's around 9:1 and no, just the chains were replaced. Just thought I'd answer for Rob being as it was me who did most of the work :D I didn't feel the head needed new guides and the cylinders looked great.

Quick question guys, what do you think of this turbo kit as a starting point:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBO-KIT-FOR-ALL ... 7C294%3A50

Do you think its rubbish and will be in the bin after using it for 100 miles.

Its in canada, so do you know how much import charges and stuff i will have to pay. I was looking on the HM Customs website but it doesnt say much, it only says if the item is above so and so i will ahve to pay, but not how much or what the rates are.

It's around 9:1 and no, just the chains were replaced. Just thought I'd answer for Rob being as it was me who did most of the work :D I didn't feel the head needed new guides and the cylinders looked great.

Would 9:1 be enough for running close to 300bhp, by the way how much psi would i need for that on the T3/T4 turbo.

A 90 day warranty on the turbo should answer your question really, as should the price, but if you want to experiment and don't want huge boost, it might work out OK. The downpipe doesn't look right though, so you might have to get a custom one done.

9:1 is fine and 8psi will get you 300hp.

Cheers for replying for me Kev :salute:

Yeah it's all as Kev says mate, didn't do the guides and seals etc as it's always been a perfectly clean engine, never ever seen any smoke out the exhaust and was clear to see why when we took it apart, all looked like it had done half the mileage it had done (apart from the chain tensioners!). When completely standard I got it rolling roaded at 203bhp and 196lb/ft and there are VR's with Schrick cams and remaps struggling to get that!

I was running 7psi with a baby supercharger and no cooling etc and was getting 270bhp so 8psi with a turbo should be 300bhp easily enough I'd have thought.

A 90 day warranty on the turbo should answer your question really, as should the price, but if you want to experiment and don't want huge boost, it might work out OK. The downpipe doesn't look right though, so you might have to get a custom one done.

9:1 is fine and 8psi will get you 300hp.

I ordered the turbo from ebay, will let you guys know if its any good when it arrives. i got it for 650 including postage.

Yeah it's all as Kev says mate, didn't do the guides and seals etc as it's always been a perfectly clean engine, never ever seen any smoke out the exhaust and was clear to see why when we took it apart, all looked like it had done half the mileage it had done (apart from the chain tensioners!). When completely standard I got it rolling roaded at 203bhp and 196lb/ft and there are VR's with Schrick cams and remaps struggling to get that!

I was running 7psi with a baby supercharger and no cooling etc and was getting 270bhp so 8psi with a turbo should be 300bhp easily enough I'd have thought.

Im gona try selling mine first and then I will buy yours :)

Cheers for the offer tho, and hopefully get back to you asap.

Have you got all the loom etc? Reason being is I will need to keep a lot of mine to run with the R32 so I'v literally just got the engine which is a late '95 coilpack one.

Have you got all the loom etc? Reason being is I will need to keep a lot of mine to run with the R32 so I'v literally just got the engine which is a late '95 coilpack one.

sorry about the late reply, 450 for the engine, i think is a good price.

And can i come over this weekend to pick up the vr6 engine, and will you be able to help me put it into the corrado, you dont have to help with the undoing of the bolts or anything, just some guidance would be more than welcome. Basically im hoping you have an engine hoist hanging around somewhere which i could use, i have some tools that i will be bringing down.

Basically im thinking of driving down with my corrado and a van, that way, hopefully i can put your engine into the corrado and i can take mine out and put it into the van.

And can i come over this weekend to pick up the vr6 engine, and will you be able to help me put it into the corrado, you dont have to help with the undoing of the bolts or anything, just some guidance would be more than welcome. Basically im hoping you have an engine hoist hanging around somewhere which i could use, i have some tools that i will be bringing down.

Basically im thinking of driving down with my corrado and a van, that way, hopefully i can put your engine into the corrado and i can take mine out and put it into the van.

Sorry dude I don't have an engine hoist, I had to rent one to put my R32 in. That sounds a bit risky to me as well, it might not be as simple as taking yours out, putting mine in then driving away. I think you'd be better of just coming down in the van and taking it away. It only takes 3 people to lift it really, I can get it on a crate to make things easier (and cleaner!).

Sorry dude I don't have an engine hoist, I had to rent one to put my R32 in. That sounds a bit risky to me as well, it might not be as simple as taking yours out, putting mine in then driving away. I think you'd be better of just coming down in the van and taking it away. It only takes 3 people to lift it really, I can get it on a crate to make things easier (and cleaner!).

Thats fine too, probably easier aswell. Would this weekend be fine for you. We will come most likely saturday morning, im gona bring a friend with me to help out.

I think i have the same engine type as you, mine is from a 1994 corrado, without the circular ignition distributor.

Just to recap, the vr6 engine you have has no problems or anything, no leaking oil or smoking when it was running or anything, basically is it a clean engine, i wont have to worry about anything.

And you have decreased the compression ratio to 9:1 and chainged the chains.

sorry forgot to mention, if our engines are the same, i.e. both don't have a circular ignition distributor (mine is a 1994 model), will i be able to simply take mine out and throw yours in without having to change the ecu and the loom.

I also forgot to ask what was the milage on yours, and is £450 good.

Cheers mate,

Would 9:1 be enough for running close to 300bhp, by the way how much psi would i need for that on the T3/T4 turbo.

9:1 be fine mate, im running 400 bhp with it no problem, 8psi will get you 300bhp