Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Inlet spacer gasket?

Are they worth it for FI applications?

Who makes them?

Where can I get a good one?

Cheers. :salute:

Speak to Dave...

He's got one on his car and has noticed a drop in inlet manifold temperatures. I spoke to him breifly about it at BVF, but he'll be able to fill you in properly.

Speak to Dave...

He's got one on his car and has noticed a drop in inlet manifold temperatures. I spoke to him breifly about it at BVF, but he'll be able to fill you in properly.

DG Autotech can supply one for you as well I believe.

it's possible to make one, check out this link http://tech.mirage-performance.com/teflon-insulating-gasket.html i'm actually toying with the idea of making one at the moment to see if the various bhp claims have any foundation, i actually have a 5mm sheet of teflon ready as photo attached... that piece was like £5 off fleabay

these spacers will definitely keep your inlet manifold cool to the touch as they insulate the manifold from heat conduction from the head, the big question is does this really *prevent* heat soak to the inlet charge and avoid loss of power.... i've done some basic calcs based upon the overbored capacity of my block and the volume of air within the inlet manifold, this gives an indication of how much air is being drawn through the manifold for every revolution, and thus the time the air spends in moving through the manifold..... in the case of my 16v block at 1000rpm the air in the manifold is replaced in much less than a second, which makes me question how much heat can actually conduct from the manifold surface to the air - not much is my suspicion!

for simplicity my calcs ignore the ram effect, but also worth bearing in mind that air is a very good insulator, and conduction will also be prevented to some degree by the slower moving boundary layer

that's my tuppence :grin:

I have one on mine and it gives a ridiculous drop in manifold temps but aide does have an extremely good point, at 6000rpm a 2.9 is sucking in a frankly insane amount of air so the gains have to be marginal.

Newsouth do have a 1.8t dyno readout on their website which shows a gain but you never know how much truth is in it, I read an independent dyno test on some Japanese tuning website which showed that although it didn't give any more power it preserved it a lot better.