Sign in to follow this  
easypops

VR6 Clutch Issue....bearing and clutch death? UPDATE

Hi all,

My clutch pedal started to get stuck halfway back up(last night)...then it springs back to the original position........getting into gear was difficult too.

Got in this morning and the problem was the same.....and getting worse........

The biting point is on the floor........and it started making a bad clicking noise......which goes away as soon as you depress the clutch pedal even a wee bit.

So had a look and there was a small amount of fluid under the slave clyinder........went to gsf and got a new one......fitted it and did the bleeding thing(although not sure correctly).......but the clicking and the jumpy pedal thing remains?

Any ideas?.......I have looked in the search and all fingers point to the slave , an airlock or the master cylinder ?

Have i just not bled it correctly?......or is it something else?

Cheers all :D

Martin

I don't know if the VR6 is the same but I had trouble bleeding my 16v clutch till I discovered a second bleed nipple just after the reservoir. Bleeding through that sorted the problem. The clicking noise has me stumped though. I had the pedal not coming back up problem and that turned out to be the master cylinder that was worn. It only happened if you had been holding the clutch down in traffic,(M8 in rush hour at the Kingston Bridge) and hooking your toe under the pedal gave a temporary respite.

Cheers Wullie,

I'll have a look then.......i have read that there is a 2nd bleed nipple on the master cylinder......but knowing zero about these things makes even the smallest/easiest jobs daunting.

I guess i'm correct in thinking that if i have to replace the master cylinder then there isn't anything else left in the system then?

ie. pedal, master,slave and pipes is what will make up the system?

That's about all there is. After that your into the actual clutch and release bearing. The clicking noise, where does it seem to be coming from, is it the pedal area or from the engine bay? Where abouts in Glasgow are you? I'm off to Fife tomorrow morning but should be back and reasonably sobered up by Tuesday if you're still stuck.

Hi Wullie,

I'm in Mosspark mate.......not too far from you i guess? ....as for the clicking .....i'm not sure to be honest.......i'm heading back out just now to see if i can find the 2nd bleed nipple

Cheers

Martin

About 20 minutes at most. Will PM you my mobile number if you want to give me a call.

Ok.....the clicking noise seems to be coming from the slave cylinder,or very very close to it........the newly fitted one.......but was also coming from the old one........tried bleeding from the smaller bleed nipple, under the resevoir but almost nothing came out?.........i tried pumping the peddle with the system closed but its not building up any pressure?

any ideas would be great at this stage :shrug:

Cheers

Martin

Wullie was good enough to come down and have a wee look.......and his thoughts are that its possibly the release bearing?

Anyone any experience of one of these failing, symptoms etc?

Cheers

Martin

Ive just had the same problem on my vr6, I replaced the thrust bearing and also the engaging fork inside the gearbox which had cracked, put a new 'luk' clutch in and now everthings sorted, super smooth, cost £365 all in

Ive just had the same problem on my vr6, I replaced the thrust bearing and also the engaging fork inside the gearbox which had cracked, put a new 'luk' clutch in and now everthings sorted, super smooth, cost £365 all in

Did you do this yourself?......is this possible to do at home or am i best to bite the bullet and book it in somewhere?

Did you do this yourself?......is this possible to do at home or am i best to bite the bullet and book it in somewhere?

That sounds like a parts and labour price.

You will need to take the gearbox off.Not everyones cup of tea to be done at home on the driveway.

That sounds like a parts and labour price.

You will need to take the gearbox off.Not everyones cup of tea to be done at home on the driveway.

Thats what i feared :( ........i'll see if i can get someone to do it for me for cash.....either that or its getting booked into the garage :gag:

Well it looks like i'll be towing the car to the garage on monday morning......spoke to someone else today and seemed to know exactly what it was ........release/thrust bearing has partially or fully came away from the fork?......and will likely have done the clutch in :( .......i'm guessing i'll find out on monday :?

Thanks again to wullie for the visit earlier on :salute:

Probably could of done it myself but I needed it pretty quick as my trusty reliable van had broken down the same week, the price was for parts and labour at quite a good price as my uncle owns a garage, luk clutch was £92 delivered and fork was £28, sorry I had oil and filter in for the £365 to so clutch change prob only cost me £300. Pretty sure the gearbox comes off without removing subframe or anything so should be resonably diy friendly :)

Got a call from the Garage this morning.......The bearing release fork insdide the clutch is cracked and bent........so got one ordered..........so i was £300 on parts on monday.....discs and pads all round and a clutch......looking at a bill for labour at about £230 ......and the fork is about £30.....fingers crossed that'll be all :lol: