Sign in to follow this  
Erickramirez

Switched from K&N to ITG now...?

so i had a Huge KnN filter with a big Tube that i switched for a smaller ITG filter with thinner tube from Eurosport now my Supercharger is making a different noise, is this normal? it doesnt necisseraly sound bad its just a deeper sort of tack tack tack noise, and also now i have thin pieces of metal flying out of the belt n pulley area, any connection?? i can post pics later if needed, thanks guys

Doesnt sound healthy to me! In any case, i'd recommend going back to a standard induction set up with a standard filter, with G60s its very important to have good filtration!

Just to get things straight, the thin metal flakes WERE caused because i switched to ITG correct? and i have a stage 4 g60 with a front mount intercooler, should i still go back to standard airbox? thanks

Just to get things straight, the thin metal flakes WERE caused because i switched to ITG correct? and i have a stage 4 g60 with a front mount intercooler, should i still go back to standard airbox? thanks

YES!

Anything other the the original paper filter will let larger particles through = not good for a charger.

well i switched back to KnN for now, but noise is still there and to top it off now smoke/steam is coming from the throttle body area (not sure exactly where) and it is leaking im guessing fuel when turned on :mad2: , any ideas whats going on? ive been smelling fuel last couple days...

Just when i thought all my problems were gone... So i switched from KnN to ITG, then metal flakes came flying out of the belt/pulley area (not alot just a small amount at a steady pace) so i switched back, but nowww my charger is making a different noise under 2000rpms. best way i can describe it is sort of a really fast low Vibrating/Knocking noise, but as soon as it goes above 2000rpms the noise stops and it sounds alot cleaner. ive searched and alot of people say this is how it should sound, but mine never sounded like this before :cuckoo: . Did i damage something while i had my ITG setup?? ill try to get a vid of the noise soon. all help/advice is appreciated!

chargers should never make a knocking noise

stop driving the car and have it inspected ..it might be repaierable if you dont drive it anymore

chargers should never make a knocking noise

stop driving the car and have it inspected ..it might be repaierable if you dont drive it anymore

AGREED!!

if my charger was "knocking" id be sweating! Esspecialy if id seen metal flying out of the pulleys the week before :lol:

but out of interest, have you checked to see if anything is obviously loose? things that make strange noises at certain RPM's are usually down to resonance from a vibrating component... just a thought

Actually i just noticed a really long screw maybe 5 or 6 inches right under the alternator if i recall its inbetween the alternators belt that was loose, i tightened it up tho and it still makes the noise, although it still loosens up after a while..hmm and why would it only do it under 2000rpms? like i said above that it sounds great. the noise doesnt sound bad its just..weird.. lol

id still get it looked at... without hearing the noise its a difficult diagnosis. :confused4: do you even have a picture of the loose screw and belt assembly?

the garage wont charge you for an inspection so it wont hurt to get it looked at.

i have a video of the noise and screw i just have no way to upload it right now since i lost my usb cable, but ill get it uploaded by monday or tuesday and give you guys a link, thanks

Alright guys the time has come i know youve all been waiting for it and here it is! i got a video of the noise but unfortunately i forgot to get a shot of the loose screw but basically if you look right below the alternator pulley, its that screw, anyways here is the link let me know what you guys think of the noise thanks! oh and the smoke in the end is a leak in the fuel line outa the fuel rail but i am getting it fixed tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajr-efyrH4c

thats not a normal sound

again...id not drive it until you at least know whats up , maybe take off the belt and spin up the alt and charger by hand see what they feel like

the smoking needs fixing now ...it will catch fire :shock: as if you hadnt realised the fuel can get onto the hot exhaust parts

I know jack all about chargers, but that sounds like you've got a bearing gone. I wouldn't be running that car until you sort the problem out or it may go BANG and make $$ disappear quickly.

thats not a normal sound

again...id not drive it until you at least know whats up , maybe take off the belt and spin up the alt and charger by hand see what they feel like

the smoking needs fixing now ...it will catch fire :shock: as if you hadnt realised the fuel can get onto the hot exhaust parts

COMPLETELY AGREE

there's some serious problems there. Get it looked at by a garage, before you f :censored: k either your alternator or charger

ok this is a noob question but im new to working on my car so, how exactly do you take out the belt? and i have an extra charger in my other non running corrado maybe i should switch them and see what happens? how much would a shop charge for something like that or should i try to do it myself? thanks again

nevermind i got it figured out, anyways i BELIEVE i found the Problem! which is good but not good. so my supercharger pulley is really loose before i even removed the belt i could already feel it wobbling. i removed the belt and its just really loose i can get a video of it if needed, anyways does this mean its just my pulley that needs replacing ( or maybe tightened) or does my charger still have problems? the pulley itself looks really new. and if it does need replacing how do i do so? could i use the one out of my other g60? its slightly bigger tho

If you use a different size pulley you need to change the chip in the ECU or it won't run right. But as everyone has said, get it to a garage that knows about chargers cos the smoke and the noise looks like you could be doing serious damage by running it. G-laders are very delicate :shock:

i got the smoke fixed it was just a leak in the fuel line but i got it replaced. now that i found out it was my pulley making the noise i just want to know how to remove it since whenever i try to remove the bolt the pulley turns with it. i think theres a special tool for these things? i forgot what they were called? impact gun or torque wrench or something? i just want to remove my pulley lol