Sign in to follow this  
Flexso

Water Cooling Nightmare!! (Advise needed!)

Hello All,

Well I will start of by saying I am fuming that my car decided the tear a water hose 200 miles from my home. After the RAC replaced it. The **** plastic housing that contains the thermostat cracks. What a joke.

Well after paying for a £100 ticket and a 4 1/2 hour journey on a crap train I got home. :bad-words:

I have decided that I will never let this happen to me again. So I need everyone help on what parts to replace? I have seen on the web that there are certain parts in the water system that are current plastic but can be replace for metal parts. I think the plastic housing ontop of the rad is one of these. Does anyone know where I can get these parts from?

Thanks

Also just before the water housing went the water temp went upto just short of 100 degree!!! Is there something you can do to make the fan motor come on at a lower temp?

get a lower temp fan switch, also you can get a lower temp thermo stat (so it opens at a lower temp). My old rado had a switch for the fan so i could turn it on anytime which was useful because once i was in traffic i really didn't enjoy waiting patiently for the fan to kick in. not sure about the metal parts but perhaps gruven (i think thats what they are called) might do something of use

Sounds like they may be something causing excess pressure in the system, either that or its a big co-incidence that these problems have all appeared at the same time! I would always rather sort whatever is causing it to run hot out, rather than using a low temp fan switch to mask the problem.

At 15 years old I'd be looking at replacing the lot now, all the hoses and all the plastic outlets.

IMO it's the only way to do it unless you want to be constantly fixing parts and changing coolant.

Sounds like they may be something causing excess pressure in the system, either that or its a big co-incidence that these problems have all appeared at the same time! I would always rather sort whatever is causing it to run hot out, rather than using a low temp fan switch to mask the problem.

good point, although my suggestion was an answer to his question rather than using my own common sense... fail on my part

this happened to me,

thermohousing went.

water pipe burst

rad burst

thing kept breaking and leaking coolant, i've now replaced the lot and with upgraded stuff where possible but it can get expensive and i probably didn't need the gruvenparts bits.

VW Rad with Gruvenparts rad neck

VW aux water pump with Gruvenparts Bracket

Gruvenparts crack pipe

VW Thermostat housing

Set of Samco water hoses with new clips

VW main water pump (i still haven't done this yet)

Is the lower temp fan switch something you could get for the dealers? I think that is gonna have to be a definite buy. Anyone know where the best place to get Samco Coolant kit from? Or is their any alternate companies other than Samco?

What would be the cause of the excess pressure on the system? The guy from RAC hose job was nearly three times longer than the original hose that ripped? Would that of caused it?

could be air in the system causing extra pressure

Me and The rac guy checked for air pressure and we seemed to get all the bubbles out of the system.

Im so gutted that my car is stuck in exeter.

Does anyone know the best place to get samco hoses or another brand?

What would be the cause of the excess pressure on the system? The guy from RAC hose job was nearly three times longer than the original hose that ripped? Would that of caused it?

It's unlikely, as long as it was the right bore it doesn't really matter how long it was - the only thing that would change is a slight increase in the amount of water needed to fill the system up.

Excess pressure in the coolant system is a head gasket problem in most cases. Or it was just down to an old hose that has had to much of getting hot over the last 15 years and just weakened. That's all it was in my case anyway.

It's unlikely, as long as it was the right bore it doesn't really matter how long it was - the only thing that would change is a slight increase in the amount of water needed to fill the system up.

Excess pressure in the coolant system is a head gasket problem in most cases. Or it was just down to an old hose that has had to much of getting hot over the last 15 years and just weakened. That's all it was in my case anyway.

I just couldnt believe that once we fixed the hose. The engine ran upto temp and then seemed to still creep up before the fan kicked in. Then litterly at the same time the fan came on, the plastic water housing cracked.

VW hoses are just as good unless you have a real desire to go for performance hoses. VW may work out slightly more expensive if you replace every single hose going (some of mine had been done over the last few years so I didn't need to do all of them) but theres not a lot in it.

I just couldnt believe that once we fixed the hose. The engine ran upto temp and then seemed to still creep up before the fan kicked in. Then litterly at the same time the fan came on, the plastic water housing cracked.

Strangely enough my fan has stopped working ever since I had a hose blow on me a few weeks back. It's a tad strange really, if I start it cold and let it warm up it will come on at the right temp. However if I drive it around for a bit, stop (leave the engine running) and check the fan it's not doing anything even when it should be.

I've got a replacement fan and a new thermoswitch which I need to sort out soon, but for now I just switch the heater onto full if it looks like it's creeping up on me.

VW hoses are just as good unless you have a real desire to go for performance hoses. VW may work out slightly more expensive if you replace every single hose going (some of mine had been done over the last few years so I didn't need to do all of them) but theres not a lot in it.

Nurburgring is on the cards for the end of the year so will prob be best to for performance. I was wondering if there were any other companies other than Samco who do these?