Sign in to follow this  
jamiehol

Non starting VR6

My VR has devloped a non starting fault, it started about a month ago I was finding occasionally it wouldn't start, it would sit there cranking but wouldn't fire.

I could get it to fire if i removed relay 109 and let it crank for a bit and reinsert relay 109 during cranking, a couple of weeks later it also started to feel really hesitant when cold unitl the water temp was around 70 to 80 degrees.

However I came out of work today and it wouldn't fire it will sit there cranking but won't catch I have tried the trcik with relay 109 but that didn't have any affect, I can hear the fuel pump priming so I think that is ok. The car is currently in my work car park.

Does anyone have any pointers or ideas of things to check or try.

That sounds a bit like the Problems i've been having with my VR Its a 95.

Would run like rubbish when cold so i used to sit with my foot slightly on the accelerator till it warmed upto 70(water temp then it would run ok. but somtimes it would cum out with big juddering misfires whilst driving. then last week it juddered once then 100 yards dwn the road it cut out hand hasnt ran since. I plugged my Snap On Ethios code reader in and it came up with throttle position sensor - short with ground intermittent. and the usual engine speed sensor but i've heard they through that code up when their not running when u turn them over to check for a fault code anyway. So it shouldnt be that but i'll prob try it last if im at lost end.

I've been advised to try the fuel pump relay 67/109 but havent got round to doing it yet as i have a spare car(thank god)!lol!

And just the usual things like checking spark etc...

That probably hasnt been much help but...

Let me know how u get on with yours and i'll let you know how i get on with mine could be helpful to each other.

:)

Have you replaced the 109 relay with a new one from VW? Reason I ask is that the relay part has actually changed now from the original. I changed mine recently, part only cost £14

All the usual cuplrits! Start with the cheapest first namely the ECU and fuel pump relay both cheap OE parts from VW - and likely to go at some point so renewing them is wise anyway. Then as above the ignition switch, crank position sensor/hall sender. The CPS was the cause of my 'cranking but not firing' issue - about £30 from VW.

Thanks for the replies, I'd missed half of them as I am not on here that much.

Decided to try an fix this issue now as it seems to have gone from happenign occasionally to all the time.

Since my orginal post I have swapped the ECU & Fuel Pump relay, as well as the ignition switch for a known working one.

Will look at the CPS as the car hasn't got a hall sensor being a coil pack engine. I think i may have a spare CPS in the garage from a Golf I broke so will see how I get on.

clean out the throttle body and maybe adjust the dashpot up a smidge. Check that the damper hasn't collapsed on it.

Just to close this one off thanks for the replies and reminding me about the thread the other week.

Swapped on a spare crank sensor and it fired up first time :)

So looks like that was the real fault all along but at leats I have a new ECU and fuel pump relay as well which can only be good given the tendancy for them to give up the ghost :).