Sign in to follow this  
bad-vw-boy

floppy gear stick

You might find it's simply the circlip missing from the left hand side of the selection tower.

Lift up the gear surround/gaiter, and look at the pivoting mech that the main gearstick shaft is part of, on the left side of that sits (or should) a small circlip which helps keep the pivoting mech tight, if thats missing you'll get sloppy/no gear selection as you have.

Have a search on here for +gear +circlip, it'll prob throw a picture or two up if you're struggling to locate the circlip.

HTH

Edit: Follow this link: viewtopic.php?t=44064 for a pic of the clip

I had. Problem like this recently and found one of the cables was comi g off the gear box... Y not have a quick look, I managed to cable tie mine back on. Seemed a bit bodged but actually worked quite well and made gear change allot more acurate! Good luck friend

Just checked the circlip and that is all on there nice and tight, it seems the plastic bushes have worn and there is a little play in the spring , can these be replaced? :scratch:

it's likely the bushes have worn either end of the cables.

unfortunately vw don't sell these bushes separately and they charge about £75 each for new cables :cuckoo:

although if you do fork out for new cables it will make the gearchange feel nice again (or relatively for an 02a cable change anyway...)

I had a wobbly gear stick on my last Corrado and it was the bolt that secures the cable end to the selector on top of the gearbox (with the shift weight on it).

The weight was waggling around - just needed tightening.