Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Changing clutch, gearbox etc ***25/26th Sep***

Chaps,

I'm changing the clutch, clutch slave cylinder, gearbox, thermostadt, fan switch, oil and filter, drive shaft grease and coolant tomorrow! :(

Anyone got any tips for changing the clutch and gearbox or done them before?!

Be prepared to change the large diameter oil seal behind the flywheel as well if there is any engine oil in the bell housing. Unfortunately it entails taking off the flywheel (10 bolts, very tight, new ones required), and the bottom timing cover.

You may also find that the clutch release lever is bent or cracked so be prepared to replace it and its ball pin pivot.

Major aggravation can arise if you round out any one of the 12 drive flange socket-headed screws, so make sure that the 12-point key is driven fully into the heads before trying to undo them - they can get full up with road dirt, rust, grease etc.

The thermostat housing and the various other plastic cooling parts and seals may also break due to brittleness so be prepared for that.

The obvious tip with the gearbox is, "Watch out, it's heavy !!" When I did mine I dropped it onto my hand and broke a finger. Spoilt my whole day.

Best wishes

RB

You may also find that the clutch release lever is bent or cracked so be prepared to replace it and its ball pin pivot.

I'll second that.....mine bent/snapped recently and i needed to replace that and the clutch and the gearbox mount too

Good luck :D

Wow! Some good info there mate, thanks for that. I'll have to show that to my partner in crime (the mechanic).

Unfortunately, I didn't fit the Passat VR6 gearbox I had lined up, when I was told "very good condition with the same miles", what that actually meant was "30,000 miles more, and its f**ked". :?

Sooooo, my gearbox is getting sent off to http://www.vankronenburg.nl/hoofd.html to be rebuilt :brickwall:

Worst case scenario its going to cost me 750 Euros for a full rebuild :gag:

Be prepared to change the large diameter oil seal behind the flywheel as well if there is any engine oil in the bell housing. Unfortunately it entails taking off the flywheel (10 bolts, very tight, new ones required), and the bottom timing cover.

Major aggravation can arise if you round out any one of the 12 drive flange socket-headed screws, so make sure that the 12-point key is driven fully into the heads before trying to undo them - they can get full up with road dirt, rust, grease etc.

The thermostat housing and the various other plastic cooling parts and seals may also break due to brittleness so be prepared for that.

The obvious tip with the gearbox is, "Watch out, it's heavy !!" When I did mine I dropped it onto my hand and broke a finger. Spoilt my whole day.

Best wishes

RB

So, I could just buy this?

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswag ... lutch/54/2

*update*

Above kit purchased.