Sign in to follow this  
Flexso

Water pump rubbing! How dangerous?

Hi Guys,

My water pump has got enough play in it now that it rubs against the block. I cant get it into a garage until Friday and use it as a daily runner.

How Dangerous is it to us the car for the next couple of days?

well thats the thing. There is no water coming out. Problem is I dont have a big enough jack to jack the front mount to even check if it is a bolt :mad2:

Personally I would say don't drive it, but I know that can be easier said than done if you need to get somewhere and it's your only car. I assume you can't get a lift to work or borrow someones car for a few days?

Well the prob is it is at work at the mo. The garage I use is next to my house.

Its going to be an interesting drive home tonight. :D

Should be able to borrow a car from somewhere for the next couple of days.

Just make sure you keep an eye on the temp gauge and water level warning lamp, you don't want to be over heating one of these!

The coolant hose might have something to do with the pump. Don't use it any more as if it's got the original pump with plastic blades, they might get snapped off and jammed in the cooling system, and if it's been replaced with a pump with metal blades, they might start wearing into the block...

Im pretty sure its the water pump. Its quite a large pulley behind the the alternator pulley and the power steering pulley?

your able to touch half of it but not the other half becoause the metal panel you sit the airbox on is in the way.

Anyway. When the car is running, it wobbles like a spinning plate on the end of a stick.

I was gonna replace with a GSF water pump.

Don't drive it - doesn't take much to overheat and write off a VR engine!

Make sure you fit a genuine VAG pump - GSF ones may have a metal impeller (not good!)

Yeah, that's the water pump. And as Steve says, fit a genuine pump. They're less than £40 after all...

Don't drive it - doesn't take much to overheat and write off a VR engine!

Make sure you fit a genuine VAG pump - GSF ones may have a metal impeller (not good!)

Why are metal impellers not good?

The 20V lumps came with plastic impellers and are known for failing, general practice is to replace with a metal impeller pump.

Yeah, that's the water pump. And as Steve says, fit a genuine pump. They're less than £40 after all...

And the rest :shock:

Because when the bearings go, they chew into the block.

:shock: Ok. Down to the dealers tomorrow then.

The ones I have been to only do exchange so you could well find they want your goosed pump

Mine cost £35 when I did it.

Mine cost £35 when I did it.

They after £55 now, forget if that was inclusive of VAT, they also want your old pump in exchange.

How long ago did you do yours

Seems to be a difference in opinions...some say avoid the plastic pump, infact just about all I have read on here do....until now that is :)

Now I'm in two minds again...I was going to be the metal Febi pump! :shrug:

£44 + vat retail and £28 trade (Used to be £19 + vat!)

Loads of people with 20VT's and TDIs have also had problems with metal replacement pumps, the original VW ones were problematic but they have been thru a couple of revisions now and seem reliable.

Is that a case of different dealer prices then as I called two nearest us and they both came up with £55

Both needed old pump back and one said that the pumps they supplied were refurbished...sound right?

I had a genuine new VAG pump fitted very recently and the chap I use (JMR in my sig) showed me the old one so it is possible to get non-recons. If there's any play in the tensioner get one of those too. And a new serpentine belt. Then you know you're completely sound for another 100K+ miles. My old pump with a chunk missing and virtually no impellors after 130k miles:

3328395643_1f4b623776_m.jpg

I had a genuine new VAG pump fitted very recently and the chap I use (JMR in my sig) showed me the old one so it is possible to get non-recons. If there's any play in the tensioner get one of those too. And a new serpentine belt. Then you know you're completely sound for another 100K+ miles. My old pump with a chunk missing and virtually no impellors after 130k miles:

Thanks, Yeah Im buying the belt aswell. Im really worried now that im getting the water pump pulley mixed up with something else. Has anyone got a photo of thw water pump on the engine?