Sign in to follow this  
dazzyvr6

bonnet hinges

no one ever taken a bonnet off then??im just want to try and fit some bonnet lifters on my car

I'll have a look at mine tonight when I get home... I was under the impression that you just unbolt it with a spanner to remove the bonnet itself... :?

Have you got the MKIII bonnet lifters? I've got a set too, so I'll see how to fit 'em tonight and let you know. 8)

yeah i bought some mk3 bonnet lifters...i thought the bonnet was bolted on,it looks like it needs drilliing or chiseling off

Are there any large grommets around the hinge end of the bonnet? Try looking under those for nuts/bolts before getting your chisel out!

K

the bonnett is just held on with 2 m6 bolts per side undo these and the bonnett will lift free..

Drill time...

I had a look at mine last night, but it was too dark to photo it. I'm pretty certain that it's basically a very large rivet so you'd need to drill it out or drill a hole close by that you can mount the lifter onto...

Let us know how you get on, it's a mod that I'm planning on doing, but can't do yet as I need to keep my bonnet shut and there's no slam panel (or front end for that matter!) on my car yet... 8)

Good luck! 8)

Yeah it will need drilling but I think you have to drill in a specific place otherwise the lifters won't do their job properly......or so I remember from my old MK1 days at least!

K

yeh i think pivot points are coming in to play here... do you have autocad ? you could draw it up and work the points out to drill etc.. get it wrong and you might bend the bonnett..

tried fitting one today,removed the stud type bolt,fitted the lifter and when the bonnets up the lifters want to take it down,would rather not drill my bonnet...so my quest continues for some bonnet lifters

MKIII ones from Eurocarparts DEFINATELY can be used for this. I've seen it done on several cars... I've not yet done it though, but I have bought the kit to do it... I'll have a look at the weekend to see if I can see where to mount them to. 8)