Sign in to follow this  
VRev6

fuel pump dead! :-(

hi guys,

What a sh*t night i had last night :( , driving along after shopping to find my engine just died, felt like i was out of fuel but i knew i wasnt!! after an hour the AA turn up to tell me its my fuel pump they try to tow me but cos its so low they couldnt, so after another two hours :x a flatbed turned up to take me to a garage where it sat all night on an industrial estate!!

what a feckin' nightmare!!! :x

anyway whinge over, how much i should be paying for a fuel pump?

:D

Don't give up dude. Why have they decided its the pump. Could the relay not be the problem or something else?

Never start with the most expensive part.

Did they do any checks to prove it was the pump?

Gavin

yeah,it was rocking over and there was a spark so he reverse fed the pump to see if he could clear it but that didnt work he then checked if there was any fuel coming out the engine end (sorry i only have a basic mechanical knowledge) he also checked if there was power going to it with a multimeter and there was.

I find it strange that the pump would stop dead. It does sound that he has done enough to prove the electrics are ok.

You could get a secondhand pump from a scrappy. I can get you the number for that or if you do a search you'll find it on here. There is some problems with getting a pierburg pump I believe. Only VDO pumps are available from VW and that would mean getting the matching sender unit.

I paid 30 quid for a known good pump from a VR6 Golf for my G60 and it works OK.

Gavin

Its in the garage at the mo being looked at so i'll let ya know if they sort it. i dont want them to rip me off with a new pump. garages love adding cash for there selves on to the price of the part around my way!!! is this common? does every garage do this?

I'll let ya know what happens.

VR6 pumps can and do just stop dead unfortunately. It's just an electric motor at the end of the day.

I paid around £90 for my pump from G&S (Bosch) but since then the dealer pumps have come down to a similar price.

K

Thats exactly what it did mate!! fine one minute dead the next!!!

found two on GSF site Fuel pump in tank £18.95 and Fuel injection Pump - £89.00

Which would i need for a 95M VR?

Thanks

:)

There's only one pump (3 units in 1) in a VR6, so I'm guessing it's the £89.00 but make sure they give you a Corrado one and not a Golf one. The latter has a completely different fuel sender and float (supplied with the pump) but it's only a 5 min job to swap the fuel senders over etc if they only do Golf ones, both are 4 bar.

Make life easier on yourself and go to the dealer! See how much it is first....I think they're around £95+VAT, so only marginally dearer than G&S.

K

Cheers Kev you've been very helpful. How long should the job take? its great having this info before i go to the garage so i can actually hold my own when they try and rip me off!! couldnt take it to my normal garage cos he's too busy!!

nice one mate :-)

The procedure is as follows:-

Remove boot carpet

Remove the large black metal cover plate which exposes the pump

Disconnect the wiring and hoses (paying attention to the flow arrows and tube colours!)

Unscrew the large white lock ring (a big plummers wrench or hammer and screwdriver)

Lift off the top cap being careful with the wiring and place to one side.

Reach in the tank (best done when nearly empty for the sake of your skin!) and twist the pump and pull (it clips to the bottom of the tank)

Pull it up and out of the tank and detach the fuel sender wires etc.

Remove fuel sender and it's float from the pump

Bin pump

Fit fuel sender and float to new pump and then stick it back in the car!

It takes about an hour to do, if they're competent!

HTH

K

Just spoken to the garage and they said £135 inc labour to fit my fuel pump. GSF didnt have one got it from euro car parts for £110 inc. VAT but not coming till tomorrow.

The VDO intank pump from VW isnt avalable for the next few weeks as they have none in stock. (they dont make peirburg pumps anymore) Also you carnt use a pierburg fuel sender on a VDO pump. If the broken pump is a pierburg, aswell as replaceing it with a VDO pump you will also need the VDO fuel sender .

I have this problem at the moment. The cost of a VDO pump and fuel sender is about £150 from VW!!! As they have none available and the cost, my local garage has striped the pump and is going to replace the internals with a Bosch item. If you have the same problem let me know as I'll have a solution in the next couple of days.

(Caios G60PWR, signed in on Bens computer) :lol:

I'll nip to the garage on me way home and check that. Are pierburg pumps on all corrados or are they just on newer or older models, anyone know??

nice one Caios G60PWR i'll keep you informed.

I'm not sure!! My car a Golf G60 can have either a pierburg or a VDO apparently. (mine was a pierburg) Not sure if people with corrados have the same problem??

(Caios G60PWR, signed in on Bens computer) :lol:

Gavin will the pierberg fuel level sender work/fit on the VDO pump? If it will it'd save me a lot of messing around.:lol: Also did you have to change the intank mounting to fit the VDO pump to it?

just spoke to the garage and Euro Car Parts have sent the wrong one!!! now ordering it from VW now But they cant get it here overnight so prob be without my C for a few days!!!! feckin' nightmare! :-(

I don't think it'll work mate. It is the same mounting in the tank. A bayonet.

Gavin

Cheers Gavin! I swear I'm going to end up some sort of G60 fuel pump spotter by the time I get mine fixed!!! :lol:

The one they have sent is probably for a VR6 Golf - they can probably modify it easily with parts from the dead one (the float etc) to fit.

Jus got myself a new fuel pump today and my cars sorted again! :lol:

Couldnt get a replacement Peirburg pump, so had to get a VDO pump and fuel sender. Cost a small fortune for both but at least its sorted now. The VDO pump wasnt easy to find. The garage (avw caernarfon) tracked one down at a stealers somewhere down south. They couldnt get one from GSF!!

John Fox VW in Nottingham tracked me one down down south as well, should be here tomorrow morning. on next day delivery for £15 pump is costing me £111 inc VAT

cant wait to sort it and get her back on the road!!

:D :D :D

had a real bad night tonight...i went to a cruise in milton keynes, left the car for 1hr atleast.

Came back to shoot off home at 10pm and car just wouldn't start. i had atleast 6of my mates pushing it accross the hockey stadium car park!

In the end i phoned the AA and surprise surprise...he said it was probably the fuel pump gone dead. It was ticking over, i even got a mate to drive to a petrol station and fill up a jiffy can to refill the car...had enough fuel and voltmeter inside the car showed 13V, no blown fuses...

I can't believe this car is costing me bucks in only 3months of buying it. :roll:

... it *is* 13 years old ....

Leaves bad memories though, eh?

I had just loaded a carfull of stuff into the boot on xmas eve 2002, ready to go away. I'd dropped the missus off at the airport that very morning, so I knew the car was ok, didn't expect any problems.. Had finally finished locking up the house, went to get in the car, key in the ignition... click .. click .. click .. No rotation at the engine ... bugger!!

three hours later (it was xmas eve) nice mr RAC man came out and basically smirked at me and said "starter's gone - can't do anything I'm afraid".. I had to unload the damn car, again, and prepare a much smaller bag, and go and get the damn train. Which took hours (it was xmas eve...)...

And by the time I returned, and *any* local garage was open again the car had been off the road for a grand total of 15 days. :(