Sign in to follow this  
PaulMoVR6

VAG.COM Lead

I also bought a £15 jobbie. USB type, but have to run it with a virtual serial port driver through the USB and the 409b (IIRC) version of VAG-Com, which is downloadable from Ross-tech website.

Not had to do that myself, the USB type works fine.Though it will only work in COM port 3 none of the other 3.

I also bought a £15 jobbie. USB type, but have to run it with a virtual serial port driver through the USB and the 409b (IIRC) version of VAG-Com, which is downloadable from Ross-tech website.

Not had to do that myself, the USB type works fine.Though it will only work in COM port 3 none of the other 3.

When I was running it with Windows 2000, it worked like that, I upgraded to XP, and could only get it working like that. Weird. Ho hum, works ok anyway.

When I was running it with Windows 2000, it worked like that, I upgraded to XP, and could only get it working like that. Weird. Ho hum, works ok anyway.

Yeah it is weird. The cable is also temperamental, doesnt always work first time.

I believe some of the ebay cables, or at least the one I got, registers the usb connection as a "fake" serial so you have to assign it a port... cant remember the exact technical terms but there is plenty about it on other forums like vortex etc. Not sure I can post links to them on here? Quick google search pings them up anyway. Long story short, after a fiddle with some settings details of which can be found in the a fore mentioned forums and the ebay cable works fine.

I bought a cable with the serial port, and downloaded the shareware version of VAG-COM from Ross-Tech. Worked first time, no problems at all. IMHO serial to USB adaptors (which are contained within the plug bodies of the USB versions of the cable) are evil and should all be shot at dawn.

I had a cheapy serial cable of fleabay which worked fine for a while, then gave up the ghost. It would occasionally be seen by the lappy, but never by the car. Gave up wasting time in the end and bought a genuine hex+can USB cable. That's never given me any trouble.

i've just swopped my software to the new laptop which doesnt have the multipin socket on it (sorry, i dont know what you call this :shrug: is this the serial port?) The lead has the female pins as does the back of the laptop. So is there an adapter that works that i can get to connect either to this or to the USB socket? Its a genuine lead btw.

Guys, I'm slightly confused, could someone briefly explain what cable I need. I didn't think any Corrados were OBD2 unless you have converted them? Yet most of the cables linked to in this thread are for OBD2. Also I looked at the 2x2 cables, and I'm 99% sure they aren't the connectors I have under my gear gaitor, I have the OBD2 looking connector. :shrug:

Look under your gearstick gaitor, lift it from the rear and it'll pop off its clips. Forward of the gearstick you should see either a 2 x 2pin connectors, coloured black and white, or a rectangular (ish) connector.

AFAIK the rectangular (ish) one is refered to as an OBD2 connector even though it's connected to the earlier diagnostic system on the Corrado.

If you look here you'll see the type of cable you need. That's pointing to the genuine cables, if you want to scour ebay for a copy there's loads around.

Hope that's not too confusing!

In that case I do have an OBD2 connector. But technically the underlying system isn't OBD2 correct?

Yeah,that's correct. OBD1 system with a OBD2 socket.

Awesome, cheers for clearing that up dude :)

I never got round to ordering one of these fancy getting one now though, i had a look under the gear gaitor and i have the 2x2 pin conectors(ones black,the other is white) what sort of cable is it i need? would the rectangular shaped ones fit over? or would i need to get a convertor from maplins etc, iam trying to get to grasps with what iam needing but iam just confuseing myself

I never got round to ordering one of these fancy getting one now though, i had a look under the gear gaitor and i have the 2x2 pin conectors(ones black,the other is white) what sort of cable is it i need? would the rectangular shaped ones fit over? or would i need to get a convertor from maplins etc, iam trying to get to grasps with what iam needing but iam just confuseing myself

Its a 2x2 connector. If you look on ebay you can get a 16 pin adaptor like you have on the ODBII but you also get an adaptor to change it to the 2x2 adaptor.

So when you have the adaptor think i have found one on ebay, What elso do i need? Download the software from rosstech? or do i need another lead to plug into my laptop? sorry for my complete lack of knowledge

So when you have the adaptor think i have found one on ebay, What elso do i need? Download the software from rosstech? or do i need another lead to plug into my laptop? sorry for my complete lack of knowledge

Get this

OBDII lead

and one of these

2x2 adaptor

Then download a version of Vagcom from Rosstech.

Thanks mate appreciate that, iam not to hot with computers

cheers

The ebay leads can be a little temperamental - mine only likes to be detected if i plug it into USB COM Port 3. Doesnt like any of the other USB ports.

right i have recivied my leads from ebay but i can't get them to work it keeps comeing up on the screen saying user interface not found on each of the 3 usb ports, what version is best to download from rosstech cheers

For a generic lead, you'll need either 311 or 409 - try one, if that doesn't work try the other.

For a generic lead, you'll need either 311 or 409 - try one, if that doesn't work try the other.

311 works on mine. Also try changing the latency settings under control panel for the port. Change it to something like 5.