Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

Smokey exhuast

When I started the car this morning a load of smoke came out the exhuast, it was a blacky grey colour with a smell of oil. then after the engine had warmed up it had gone.

Had a quick search on tinternet and couldnt find much.

just started it up again (from cold) and was only a little bit of smoke. I let it idel for 5 mins then gave it a few little revs ad a light grey smoke started coming out. Have attached a video showing it

I dont like it :confused4: :confused4: :confused4:

possibly I thought that would of all gone after i left it idling for 5 mins tho.

does smell and have little black specs in it and the exhuast tip so black

Have you got a stainless exhaust on it ?

The stainless tends to give out more condensation then a mild steel exhaust

Ya the first silencer box was removed and replaced with a straight through stainless steal pipe so thats probably why then.

Its just the blackish smoke i got this morning that is worrying me more, as i do go through a bit of oil each week. so I'm wondering if its worn piston rings or valve seals, but the car has only done 84K miles :confused4: And it only seams to happen when i first start the car from cold, when its warm there isnt any thing wrong.

Dont know if its related bt my mpg has droped a bit. on the motorway yesterday I only got 30mpg at best doing 70mph when I normaly get round 34mpg

That looks like white rather then black. I would agree with the above and say condensation, especially if its disappears once warmed up.

Also VRs do tend to use oil, but it would depend on how much its using each week as to whether something is wrong. Also black on the tip of the tail pipe is also normal....again as long as its not excessive, like black soot all over the bumper and rear of the car - would indicate its running rich.

If its stem seals then there will be puffs of blue smoke on over run. It would be worth taking the plugs out and checking the condition of them. The spark plugs condition can tell you alot about the health of the engine.