Sign in to follow this  
rado94

2.0l 16v idle problem

Sure does, really smoother drive in it now :D Did the same thing to me old Golf and that had the same kind of effect.

Yeah, must check the fluid levels again actually, recently drained the system as it was full of really old fluid which looked as though it had been boiled and also found quite a bit of water in it as well :shock: not re-checked it since bleeding and running for a while although the light was flickering before I drained the system :( I did give the switch on the handbrake a bit of a service with some electrical cleaner and it did stop it for a while but just started up again.

Really, I think I need a new master cylinder as Horney suggested as well but I'll have to wait for some more pennies :lol:

I will be giving my throttle body a clean this weekend then to see if it works :D

I will be giving my throttle body a clean this weekend then to see if it works :D

lets hope so :notworthy:

Even if it doesn't sort the problem completely, I think it's a worth while task anyway that will give you a difference in the way the car performs :)

Even if it doesn't sort the problem completely, I think it's a worth while task anyway that will give you a difference in the way the car performs :)

did you use brake or carb cleaner?

I used carb cleaner.......some STP (?) stuff.

yeh thats good stuff

It certainly is :)

It even gets all the crud out that you cannot get to with the toothbrush or rag..........marvellous :D

Cleaned mine today, was rather dirty one side but clean the other.

Had a bit of trouble undoing the 4 bolts they did start to round off but a few light taps with a hammer on the alan key sorted that out :D

Gave it a good old clean and put it all back on then went for a spin

It hasnt curred the problem but the car feels more urgent when i put my foot down, also when the revs do decide to drop down when i engage the cluth it happens alot quicker.

The how to guide was very helpfull, so much easyer when you have pics to help you out. Especialy when you know hardly anything about the engine bay :D

Have a few pics I will upload later when i get the time

:salute:

Cleaned mine today, was rather dirty one side but clean the other.

Had a bit of trouble undoing the 4 bolts they did start to round off but a few light taps with a hammer on the alan key sorted that out :D

Gave it a good old clean and put it all back on then went for a spin

It hasnt curred the problem but the car feels more urgent when i put my foot down, also when the revs do decide to drop down when i engage the cluth it happens alot quicker.

The how to guide was very helpfull, so much easyer when you have pics to help you out. Especialy when you know hardly anything about the engine bay :D

Have a few pics I will upload later when i get the time

:salute:

thank you mate 8) .....i would say its your ISV then.....

Here are the pics as promised

to start with

091010_150116.jpg

the inside of the manifold

091010_150131.jpg

and after a good clean

091010_151250.jpg

091010_151304.jpg

also my little helper hard at work

091010_151314.jpg

Cleaning my thottle body seams to have half sorted the probolem.

In the mornings when I leave for work ( 5.30 am) it starts no probolem what so ever, may rev a little high but no probolem in starting.

Now when i leave work to come home or when the engine is cold but warm (like when the engine has been running but not for a couple of hours) it struggels to start properly. It will start but the revs will be very low and the engine will realy ruff. Almost as if you could hear each cylinder going off one at a time, it will pick its self up after a few seconds. Then it may run fine or it will rev high ( around 2K )

I've all ready cleaned the ISV

Any one got any ideas as to what could be causing it :shrug: :confused4:

Cleaning my thottle body seams to have half sorted the probolem.

In the mornings when I leave for work ( 5.30 am) it starts no probolem what so ever, may rev a little high but no probolem in starting.

Now when i leave work to come home or when the engine is cold but warm (like when the engine has been running but not for a couple of hours) it struggels to start properly. It will start but the revs will be very low and the engine will realy ruff. Almost as if you could hear each cylinder going off one at a time, it will pick its self up after a few seconds. Then it may run fine or it will rev high ( around 2K )

I've all ready cleaned the ISV

Any one got any ideas as to what could be causing it :shrug: :confused4:

ive been looking at mine today, im thinking it maybe to 1. your throttle cable or 2.the switch on the throttle?......thats me guessing

HAHA no worrys, I dont think it is the switch or cable as Dave and Graham both looked at that when I payed the a visit a few weeks ago and they said they are good.

Only thing I can think of is either the cold start valve has a intamitent problem, or its the cold start sensor thingy :confused4:

I know I couldnt belive how dirty it was and the car has only covered 85K miles.

I'm not to fused about the inlet manifold as I have a nice new and clean one to go on soon 8)

HAHA no worrys, I dont think it is the switch or cable as Dave and Graham both looked at that when I payed the a visit a few weeks ago and they said they are good.

Only thing I can think of is either the cold start valve has a intamitent problem, or its the cold start sensor thingy :confused4:

I know I couldnt belive how dirty it was and the car has only covered 85K miles.

I'm not to fused about the inlet manifold as I have a nice new and clean one to go on soon 8)

could be cold start valve......i know my brothers 16v mk1 (corrado 9A engine) had problem internally in the cold start valve and John at stealth racing used two old ones to built 1 good one...

so how much would a new valve cost from the steelers? and how easy are they to change

so how much would a new valve cost from the steelers? and how easy are they to change

i dont how much new.....but a bolt off and on job. simple

cool, gess I will have to pop into my stealers to find out.

Will be the first time and defo not the last time I will be going there :lol: :lol:

Will be the first time and defo not the last time I will be going there :lol: :lol:

lol, get a part number and price and post it on here......might be interesting....

I got a simalar probolem with mine,,went to DG Autoteck thursday for it and couldnt realy find anything wrong with it

Sorry not much help but if you find anything that causes yours let me know :D

Imo its just an Ice grey violet thing :lol: , mines acting up at the mo too, still haven't cleaned my throttle body, been really busy lately but hopefully it'll be done by this weekend!

lol, get a part number and price and post it on here......might be interesting....

I will do but wont be till I get back off my hols :D

I got a simalar probolem with mine,,went to DG Autoteck thursday for it and couldnt realy find anything wrong with it

Sorry not much help but if you find anything that causes yours let me know :D

Imo its just an Ice grey violet thing :lol: , mines acting up at the mo too, still haven't cleaned my throttle body, been really busy lately but hopefully it'll be done by this weekend!

:lol: