Sign in to follow this  
Abdul

Another 16v idle problem

Hi guys, got a 2.0 16v and the idle has for the last couple of months been playing up a little. On very cold starts (the colder the worse) it struggles to start without pumping the gas and when it does if i dont rev lightly it for 30 secs or so it tries cutting out as the revs drop to like 100-200 rpm a couple of times but it never actually cuts out. Then once warm (engine oil 100+) the idle hunts when parked up or in traffic etc between 800 and about 1000 rpm. It never happened before i drilled my airbox and has been getting worse since. Any clue as to what it could be?

Btw, sorry to have made another thread, its just that my idling problem is a little different to the other chaps lol.

Cheers,

Abdul :D

I would double check all the air hoses/vac lines around the airbox as my first port of call. Also check the air hoses that connect to the ISV + the ISV itself.

I would double check all the air hoses/vac lines around the airbox as my first port of call. Also check the air hoses that connect to the ISV + the ISV itself.

What does the ISV look like? I think im going to have to take it to a garage for this one as id have no idea what im doing! lol

Isv is metal and cylindrical in shape. It's on the right of the head (as you look at the engine). It has a couple of air hoses and an electrical plug attached. It's worth taking it off, filling with carb cleaner and leaving to soak. Then a quick spray of PTFE lube (3 in 1 or similar). Refit. Really easy.

Isv is metal and cylindrical in shape. It's on the right of the head (as you look at the engine). It has a couple of air hoses and an electrical plug attached. It's worth taking it off, filling with carb cleaner and leaving to soak. Then a quick spray of PTFE lube (3 in 1 or similar). Refit. Really easy.

PTFE lube? lol... where can i get this stuff? So do i jus take the cylinder off and soak it yes? Stupendously stupid question but where it the throttle body on the valver? My mates polo was idling like mine after a few months of running the drilled airbox so we cleaned out the TB and it was running sweet again!

Kempy, indeed valvers hate anything below 10 degrees or above 20 lol.

You're a legend mate!! Will have a fiddle tommorow and see what i can do...

PTFE is just 3 in 1 or similar. Halfords or most hardware stores sell it.

Thanks dude.

Nmahi, i love DIY guides. lol.. pretty please.