G60Luke

G60Luke progress thread

Just a quick introduction

After looking for the right G60 for a while I came across one that seemed perfect for me; however it was over 170 miles away but after some good communication with the seller I decided to go have a look at it. After the early start and 3 hour drive I was happy to see the car was pretty much mint and just what I expected. Happy with it the 3 hour trip back started….

Happily the car got back without any faults and as this is going to be my weekend toy I tucked it up in the garage for the week. The next weekend rolled around and got the car up and running, however I started to notice a strong petrol smell when the car was idleing. Having had a few fuel lines go on me on previous cars I had a good idea it was just the lines perishing over time. Once I had located the leak (fuel line going in to the fuel rail on top of the inlet) managed to get some fuel line and replaced the cracked pipe to get it up and running again.

I plan to restore and upgrade the G60 over time, but want to start with a good service and general clean all round.

Current spec:

1992 registered
    Supercharger ported and polished to Stage 4 by G Werks
    Full Supersprint stainless steel exhaust
    Factory fitted full black leather interior
    After market Alloys
    Standard air box with snorkel removed
    G Werks 68mm pulley and chip
    Weitec Coilovers
    Golf G60 FMIC

Future Mods:

Compomotive MO alloys with Toyo rubber
    4pot brakes
    New Bushes all round
    New engine mounts

Now for a few pictures taken at Curborough sprint course yesterday

car004.jpg

car009.jpg

car010.jpg

car011.jpg

Luke

looks nice mate

when did you plan to adjust the kw v1's back from off road setting :lol:

Cheers man

The KW's are a future mod as it said above :wink: Currently just on stock suspension.

Is it black, or is it midnight blue? Nice looking car anyway... 8)

Thanks, it’s down as black on the log book, but close up looks more like a very dark grey

Hi Luke,

Was so sad to see you drive off in my pride and joy and was miserable for the rest of the day, but really pleased your enjoying it! Looks nice and shiney, I take it you managed to polish the whole car rather than my poor attempt when you came to collect it!

Simon - Ex G60 owner :(

Hi Luke,

Was so sad to see you drive off in my pride and joy and was miserable for the rest of the day, but really pleased your enjoying it! Looks nice and shiney, I take it you managed to polish the whole car rather than my poor attempt when you came to collect it!

Simon - Ex G60 owner :(

She has gone to a good home Si and ill take good care, i promise.

Suprisingly I havent cleaned it yet, the colour is really good and seems to stay shiney (unlike my black Integra which was nightmare to keep clean)

Cheers for the other comments guys, she's a beaut

I decided to remove the rear wiper arm and motor as i think it looks better without it. It will also aid my long term weight reduction ideas.

DSC00776.jpg

Sunday i picked up a Golf G60 FMIC with all the gubbins from KarlG60, cheers Karl! so i am in the process of trying to remove my front bumper which has become a nightmare. The lower panel has completely rusted through as i've seen alot have done, but is easily replaceable i understand.

DSC00124.jpg

VW shafted me for the 3 fuel hoses which i need to fit in the engine bay, atleast i'll know its done and won't have any fuel leaks!!

I am endeavouring to repair the electric wing mirrors, and i read something on the forum and found a guide about how the switch can be at fault which i've taken apart and found the circuit board to be all blue/green, so nice and clean now and will see if it works when i put it back in.

Been slow progress mainly due to the weather and other commitments.

Finally managed to get the bumper off and was then able to assess what needed to be replaced.

8-1.jpg

At this time I thought it would be worthwhile changing the bushes in the cross member for Powerflex items and replacing the front engine mount.

7-1.jpg

9-1.jpg

The two plastic water flanges also needed to be replaced as the seals were completely shot.

The rocker cover was next as the paint was very flaky so went for a matt black finish with slightly polished vw logo and strips.

IMG_0066.jpg

Fitted the G60 U-Bend and the Intercooler next which was tight to say the least.

2-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

In this time I have also stock piled a few more bits and pieces, Weitec coilovers, 68mm pulley and chip, AP Racing 4 pot brakes and mocal oil cooler, all stil to be fitted.

I know its been a long time since the last update, but better late then never :)

Finally got the bumper back on and the progress could continue. Next up was a trip to DG Autotech to have the Weitec coilovers fitted and let them check the engine over. Thanks Dave & Graham, as I know they had some problems with my dizzy packing up whilst they were testing.

6-2.jpg

10.jpg

2-2.jpg

The car was a completely different car afterwards and handled like a dream.

Next I fitted the 68mm pulley, new supercharger & PAS belts, and Gwerks chip to suit. I also put some new Bosch W6DP0 spark plugs (the ones specific for the G60)

4-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

Then after few weekends of driving the clutch started to feel different and was noticeably getting higher until the pedal went to the top and got it stuck in 4th gear and had to drive back 20 miles and navigate through numerous roundabouts and traffic but the C made it back. Thinking the worst I came onto the forum and was advised to check my clutch slave cylinder, I whipped this off to find fluid and the rod separated from the cylinder itself. Now I’m just glad it got sorted for £30 which was probably the best outcome.

7-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

MOT’s up next on Friday.

Edited by G60Luke

Right, passed the MOT on friday no problem. So treated her to a wash and buff up.

Took some more photos.

DSCF4843.jpg

DSCF4849.jpg

DSCF4856.jpg

DSCF4857.jpg

Looks really nice mate, I love those wheels too... what are they off (they looks like R32 ones, but they're 4-stud and obviously not 18s so they're obviously not)

looking good, how are you finding the Weitec coilovers? my bro has the shocks/springs set up on his mk2 golf and im really impressed with them an thinking of getting the coils for my rado.

Are those wheels AEZ ? do look quite similar to R32 ones an work well.

dave

The wheels i have no idea what they are. The centre caps on them i could not read as they had faded and gone blurry, so i peeled them off and replaced them with a VW logo, which does make them look like R32's as you say. And yeah they are 16" not 18's

The Weitecs are very good and give a firm ride, but its hard to compare them to anything else other than the standard suspension that was on standard (like a boat). I did consider the KW's but for the additional money i didn't think it would be worth it.

Luke, next time you have the wheels off, would you mind having a look on the inside of them to see if there's a brand stamped on there, thanks :)

Looking really good, loving those wheels too. Looks so much better than mine as its lowered (and clean :) ) but right now my money has to go on mechanicals not aesthetics :(

Been a long time since my last post but here goes.

Decided i needed some more stopping power, so i got Rob_B of here to make me some brackets up and supply some calipers and fittings for me. Porsche (Brembo) calipers, braided hoses, ibiza cupra r discs.

photo9.jpg

Have just fitted some Compomotive as i've always wanted a set on my car, gold wasn't my ideal choice but i think they suit the car quite well. Could do with a refurb at some point.

photo5.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

Other stuff i've been busy with is, removing the carbon cannister, installed a boost gauge in a custom carbon fibre surround where ash try goes and I think that's about it.

Not much of an update as i've just been putting some miles on her really as she's spent most of her time tucked away in my garage.

Some pictures of how she currently sits.

P.s. there is a for sale ad in the classifieds if anyone wants to buy her.

6-3.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-3.jpg

1-2.jpg

5-3.jpg

2-3.jpg