Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Urgent help needed!!!

I have managed to blow a 16 row oil cooler and the suppliers are refusing to cover it under warrenty!

They say it's rated to 7 bar but I've managed to surpass that?! Does that sound likely?

I have an 80k engine in what I think is good health, no real smoke, Oil is changed every 3k, it get's driven fairly hard but is well taken care of.

What could cause such high oil pressure and who do the forum think is liable for it? Car was driving absolutely fine and pulling really hard just before it let go on the M1!

It has blown 2 old rubber water pipes in the past 6 months so I don't know if this is realted, they're Samco now though so not a problem anymore

Peoples opinion would be massively appreciated as I don't know where I stand, Do you think the 16 row size could be a factor as I was tempted by a 13 row

Help :confused4:

After having a search and a bit of a read it seems that I could be at fault if my oil pressure relief valve has gone, how can I check this? I've got the sump off already and I'm assuming taking the pump off is easy enough?

If it is the relief valve can this be purchased seperately from the pump? If anyone knows a price and supplier then that would rock

i can have a look in the bently bible later if you like and see what it says

Thanks that would be pretty cool, just a quick glance to see if it says anything about servicing the valve or what oil pressures should be, I'm a bit gutted to say the least as everything was running so well :(

i can have a look in the bently bible later if you like and see what it says

Thanks that would be pretty cool, just a quick glance to see if it says anything about servicing the valve or what oil pressures should be, I'm a bit gutted to say the least as everything was running so well :(

gotta get you back up and running just in case i need help with mine :lol: :lol:

serious i will have a butchers later for you and scan the pages for you to have a look if i can't sus it !!

Right I'm a step further but still desperate for help, surely someone must know something??

I took my oil pump off today, put a little screwdriver through the hole where I think the pressure relief valve lives and the spring compresses with a medium amount of force I'd say, does this sound like the valve and pump are ok?

Really worried what may have caused my high oil pressure but that is if I believe what the oil cooler people tell me which I'm not sure I do, if my relief valve moves freely does it sound like my pressure was fine but the cooler was defective?

Please somebody help, the car is in bits and I miss it :(

? weird one eh?

some silly maybe totally unrelated questions................

is there oil in the water? water in the oil

does the header tank pressurise??

where ahve you teed into to fit this oil cooler? and where is it located?

is there oil in the water? water in the oil

does the header tank pressurise??

where ahve you teed into to fit this oil cooler? and where is it located?

No both the oil and water are looking good, header tank pressurised last time I checked but can't really diagnose much now unfortunately.

Cooler was mounted on the radiator just behind the front grill

This happened to someone else. They did post about it.

I would change the oil pump no matter what, it's not worth the risk.

I did find that post but unfortunately it doesn't shed much light, my cooler does look just as destroyed though. I'm tempted to change the pump and probably will but it's £120 that I'd rather keep in my pocket if mines in good health...Aaaaahhhhhh bloody Corrado's!!!!!

Thanks for the reply's though, I'm really banging my head against the wall at the moment :brickwall: