Sign in to follow this  
gregulate

VR6 Coolant Flush

I noticed that the coolant level in my VR was gradualling decreasing and traced it to a small crack the expansion tank. I've got hold of a replacement tank, but to swap it I'll presumably need to drain the coolant from the system. Presumably is a valve or something on the radiator - but can anyone point me in the right direction ??

Also i guess its worth flushing the system - is it as simple as filling the system with tap water and going for a brief blast until the fans come on then emptying & filling with a coolant / descaled water mix???

Have searched to forum but can't find anything. Sorry I know this is basic stuff to most of you guys !

Cheers

You can drain it from the bottom rad hose and always fill up via the top rad hose. Leave the engine running with the expansion cap off until up to temp (so the stat opens). Massage the pipes :norty: to get rid of airlocks.

if you havent ever flushed the coolant system, get some of the orange coolant flush from VW. I just bought some and its around £24. Flushing the coolant ststem is not a quick task simply because you have to wait for it to cool down. Basically, drain teh coolant, fill with water with the expansion cap off, wait till the thermostat opens, around 70-80C and top up the water in the header tank. Let is circulate for a while unitl it starts bubbling up. Turn the car off. If you have the gruvenparts metal crackpipe, fit a hose to the drain valve and open this and let the coolant drain. Start the car again and gradually keep topping up the header tank with water as it comes out of the drain hole. You'll see teh water gradually become clearer. Once you're generally happy with it, bung in some of teh orange flush, top it up with water. Let it circulate for a while, leave it to cool down. Drain refill, no flush this time. Allow it to circulate. Drain and refill with a mixture of G12+ and deionised water from Tesco (around 50p per litre).

If you have time, it may be worth changing all teh coolant circuit plastics & thermostat too.

if you havent ever flushed the coolant system, get some of the orange coolant flush from VW. I just bought some and its around £24. Flushing the coolant ststem is not a quick task simply because you have to wait for it to cool down. Basically, drain teh coolant, fill with water with the expansion cap off, wait till the thermostat opens, around 70-80C and top up the water in the header tank. Let is circulate for a while unitl it starts bubbling up. Turn the car off. If you have the gruvenparts metal crackpipe, fit a hose to the drain valve and open this and let the coolant drain. Start the car again and gradually keep topping up the header tank with water as it comes out of the drain hole. You'll see teh water gradually become clearer. Once you're generally happy with it, bung in some of teh orange flush, top it up with water. Let it circulate for a while, leave it to cool down. Drain refill, no flush this time. Allow it to circulate. Drain and refill with a mixture of G12+ and deionised water from Tesco (around 50p per litre).

If you have time, it may be worth changing all teh coolant circuit plastics & thermostat too.

Cheers dude - sounds like a bit more of a pain in the ar3e than I was expecting ! Will get some of the coolant flush for sure tho.

g

Chaps,

Anyone got the part number for the coolant flush? I dare not attempt to ask for this item in German at my local dealership!

Vo isssssst die KOOOOOL-ANT FLUSH bitte?