Sign in to follow this  
Reggit

VR6 no start

This has stumped me, the :censored: thing

VR6 won't start, engine turns over and battery good.

Have changed Fuel pump relay, ECU relay and ingintion switch in last couple of months.

Fuel pump appears to prime, can feel it run when ignition is turned on (hand on top of pump)

VAGCOM reports no engine faults.

Any suggestions where to check next?

Thanks.

Edit - just found out that there's no spark.

There isn't an old alarm / immobiliser in there messing things up is there mate..?

Nah, it's only a few years old and a decent Cobra system.

Started to wonder if the Crank sensor has gone again although it's only about 5 years and 20k miles old. It's the one thing I can't rule out with Vagcom.

Is there a definitive way of testing the CPS?

Don't know about the injectors, haven't worked out how to get to them yet. I'm suspicious though as there's no smell of fuel after periods of cranking. This is the main reason I'm a little suspicious of the crank PS.

Ended up getting a cheap pattern sensor off ebay. Put it in and ... no start :censored:

Think I've sussed it now - well got the car running at least and how simple is this.

I think the ECU connections are getting damp, there's a black cover over the passenger side of the scuttle covering the fresh air intake, it's full off dead leaves and stuff under ther and very wet. The cover won't come off though, looks like it's been stuck on with windscreen sealant. I gave the ECU cabling a liberal soaking with WD40 and 10 minutes later it started 1st turn of the key.

Tomorrows job when I've got more time is to get the blooming cover off and clean and dry the area. Fingers crossed that'll be the end of the random no starts. It makes sense though now, the car was only ever a git to start when it was cold and worse in damp weather, when hot never a problem.