Sign in to follow this  
SIG60

Replacing foam in seats

Just bought the replacement side bolster section for the drivers seat. Wondered if anyone has any diagrams or tips on how to replace this i.e how to get covers off, does the seat need to come out? etc.....

Cheers!

Taking the seat out is just one bolt so you may as well - think you'll find it very hard doing it in situ.

The cloths are just held on with wires and clips. Not too bad coming off but can be fiddly getting them back on.

Just bought the replacement side bolster section for the drivers seat. Wondered if anyone has any diagrams or tips on how to replace this i.e how to get covers off, does the seat need to come out? etc.....

Cheers!

sig60 where did you get the bolster from please as my main agent told me they were deleted have you any part numbers , cheers.

Main dealer here is good if you dont mind the drive!

Part number: 535881378B Padding £21.79

Cheers :wink: I will try my main dealer again with that part Number

My drivers seat has sagged at the rear (bit like the Mrs :lol: ). Not much hope for the Mrs but are the seat sections replaceable items also? If so How many sections are there to the seat?

My drivers seat has sagged at the rear (bit like the Mrs :lol: ). Not much hope for the Mrs but are the seat sections replaceable items also? If so How many sections are there to the seat?

I think you can replace all of the sections mate. I got that impression today when I called the dealer as he asked which section I needed. I will warn you now though, cloth and leather repair parts (if still available) are stupidly priced. VW quoted me, wait for it, £450 for a boot carpet for my MK2 a few years ago!! The foam side pads are cheap enough though.

The bum part of the seat has a thin peice of foam stitched to the cloth, which then rests on another bit of foam underneath and they then sit on springs. So you may find your springs have sagged, like your Mrs arse!

K

I will warn you now though, cloth and leather repair parts (if still available) are stupidly priced. VW quoted me, wait for it, £450 for a boot carpet for my MK2 a few years ago!! The foam side pads are cheap enough though.

Never, ever ask a dealer how much a parcel shelf is unless you're either high, or just after a laugh... :shock: :crazyeyes: :nuts:

I will warn you now though, cloth and leather repair parts (if still available) are stupidly priced. VW quoted me, wait for it, £450 for a boot carpet for my MK2 a few years ago!! The foam side pads are cheap enough though.

Never, ever ask a dealer how much a parcel shelf is unless you're either high, or just after a laugh... :shock: :crazyeyes: :nuts:

.......or better still.....get them to quote the price on 1 recaro seat for a C :wink: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil:

I did once (for the MK2 again) and it was some ridiculous 3 figure some, £250 rings a bell?

Oh and 1 x G60 BBS rim for the Golf Turbo = £300!

I did once (for the MK2 again) and it was some ridiculous 3 figure some, £250 rings a bell?

Oh and 1 x G60 BBS rim for the Golf Turbo = £300!

Ask for a corrado one... I did just out of interest and it took me a while to stop laughing! it's close to a grand! :roll: :lol:

Ask for a corrado one... I did just out of interest and it took me a while to stop laughing! it's close to a grand! :roll: :lol:

I'm sure the person/persons responsible for parts pricing must just pluck random figures out of the air.......hoping the customer won't question it. £1000 for a bit of wood pulp and carpet is insane!

FYI - Middle section of foam is £50 but there are none in stock.

I'll be swapping mine with the passenger seat.

I have just ordered all of the doam parts for the drivers seat from VW. They said that there were none in the uk but would take about a week to get some from Germany. So i should be doing this job next week.

I think you can replace all of the sections mate. I got that impression today when I called the dealer as he asked which section I needed. I will warn you now though, cloth and leather repair parts (if still available) are stupidly priced. VW quoted me, wait for it, £450 for a boot carpet for my MK2 a few years ago!! The foam side pads are cheap enough though.

The bum part of the seat has a thin peice of foam stitched to the cloth, which then rests on another bit of foam underneath and they then sit on springs. So you may find your springs have sagged, like your Mrs arse!

K

Kev, if you mean the bit you sit on, there aint no springs there bud.

Aren't there? Oh well....I guessed they were the same as MK1/MK2 seats. That's a good thing then if there's no springs, easier to repair!

Cheers

K

Very comprehensive!

Looks superb Kev. Is your link going to be permanent?

If so, I'll add the link into the first post and move this to Common Questions. Unless you want to do a separate thread with the photo's etc in that forum?

Very comprehensive!

Looks superb Kev. Is your link going to be permanent?

If so, I'll add the link into the first post and move this to Common Questions. Unless you want to do a separate thread with the photo's etc in that forum?

Absolutely :lol: Gotta make use my free 55 meg on NTL!

Feel free to move around as you see fit mate.

K

I have the usual bolster problems on drivers seat and back. Also have what I can only describe as a "leaning" passenger seat, the whole frame seems to be bent towards the door. They are standard Black Leather.

Was thinking about getting hold of a pair of cloth front seats, stripping both sets down and rebuilding a good set. On the same vain, are the right hand drivers and passengers bolsters the same (swapable)?

Is it as easy to take off leather covers?

Yeah the Bolsters are either left or right, no specific passenger/driver orientation.

Leather needs more care and attention. Aging leather is easier to rip and any creases etc are more difficult to remove, but the process is exactly the same.

RE: your tilting seat, are the plastic feet on the seat base present? They provide a snug fit for the seat base in the floor runners. You might have lost one on one side. There's a picture of them in my guide.

K

Yes they are there, I've had the seat out to look for obvious problems. Spent a while making sure that it went back in properly.

Pretty sure that its the whole frame that is bent!?!