Sign in to follow this  
SIG60

Replacing foam in seats

I have a '94 LHD Passat GT (supplied in Germany) with cloth sport seats (high side bolsters on seat and backrest) and the side bolster on the driver's seat is worn through, the foam has gone through too, right to the frame.

My general question is this; is anyone able to advise if cloth seat covers are available, as well as the foam bolsters? I can provide the upholstery code from the original order form. If not, I suppose I can patch the hole by robbing the material from one of the headrests.

Best wishes

RB

If you're after the original cloth, you may want to take some KY Jelly along to the dealer with you when you go to ask for the price... :|

Overpriced? I can get platinum cheaper per gram! :|

If you're after the original cloth, you may want to take some KY Jelly along to the dealer with you when you go to ask for the price... :|

Overpriced? I can get platinum cheaper per gram! :|

:lol: You think that's bad, try asking for the Recaro cloth...

Yes they're still available. And also the bum pads..... which I replaced last night. Peice of cake. Corrado seats come apart very nicely and the material/foam is easy to work with.

Now is the time to replace any worn bolsters/arse pads before VW sodding well make them obsolete!

Side bolsters are £20 and the lard arse pad is £40

When you say the side bolster I presume you mean the side of the seat? Can you also get the side bit for the backrest? And would you know how much?

I also need the side bit for the backrest. Cant you just use some foam from an upholsterers and cut it to an approximate shape? This should be held in position by the cloth and frame i would guess?

I'm not sure about the backrest bolsters, you'll need to check with the dealer. It would be easier and probably cheaper to buy the correctly moulded part than attempt it yourself. You'll see what I mean when you strip the seats!

Hmmm, the Recaro "N-Joy" seat looks almost exactly the same as the Corrado seat....but Retardo don't list a seat for the Corrado...but do for the MK2 :roll:

Why do hardly any companies offer anything for Corrados?? Is it because they're so good out of the box they don't need any mods? :lol:

I checked at the dealers last night, and the backrest side foam bolsters don't come as a seperate piece, you have to buy the whole backrest foam which is about £76.

I'm going to try the local upholsterers this weekend and see if they can sort something out.

Bit of a pain as don't really want to spend £76, and also don't really want to have to take the whole of the backrest apart. However you can feel the metal frame through my side backrest bolster now, so not sure what to do about it. Will probably end up just leaving it, but don't want the cloth to suffer due to it not being properly taut etc as the rest of the interior is pretty much unworn and unmarked.

How exactly do you remove the cover from the seatback - Kevs guide in the How-to only covers the seat part? The leather on mine has worn a bit - previous owner was a bit of a larda**e - and has a small hole in one part. I need to put a leather patch behind it and repair the surface as most of the top coat has worn away and its almost suede in parts.

How exactly do you remove the cover from the seatback - Kevs guide in the How-to only covers the seat part? The leather on mine has worn a bit - previous owner was a bit of a larda**e - and has a small hole in one part. I need to put a leather patch behind it and repair the surface as most of the top coat has worn away and its almost suede in parts.

The seats come apart really easy and it's self explanatory once you have seperated the bum and back halves.

The Back half needs to have the headrest and headrest guide tubes, recline angle adjuster and the tilt handle/s removed in order to remove the material/leather. Electrically adjustable seats will have a slightly different procedure. At the bottom of the back rest you will see how the material is attached to the frame.

Hi guys...

Do any of you know if it's possible to change the foam in the original recaro leatherseats as well? The side polster should be the same size as the ones from the big Golf mk2 Edition One seats...!?

And is it as easy to take apart the leather seats as the normal seats!?

Greets Søren, Denmark

As you can tell I've just been searching on how to refit seat covers and found this...

Unfortunately none of the links work to the guides.

Both the drivers seat and passenger seats in the "Project VR6" are not on properley and the foam looks pretty new.

How do I fit the lower section (bit you sit on)?

Currently I can lift this off on both seats. There is a wire running through the cloth at the front and a straight piece of plastic at the back. I'm not sure if the foam is supposed to be clipped into the seat frame or glued or what?

Any help would be most excellent!

Neil

had my cloth seats apart last night, two metal rings on either side of the wire attach it at the front, unsure of how it attaches at the back. the foam is held to the cloth by two or three metal wires on the underside of the foam.

Don't know if thats what you were after mate but thought i'd say while it was fresh in my mind!!!

A couple of pictures would be awesome!

I have no metal wires in the foam?

I just have the foam and cloth with one wire through the front and a plastic straight at the back

The foam doesn't seem to be listed for the Recaro's and they are different to the mk2 version (much smaller) - maybe try Recaro direct?

Cable ties are a good replacement for the metal clips and easy to tighten.