streetpreache47

Helios Blue 1990 New MOT!!

Hello All,

New from lancashire, picking this up on saturday, these are the autotrader piccys, will take some more when I have got my grubby mitts on it with a polishing rag!

Pretty Standard 1990 1.8 Valver. Am I right in thinking this is HElios Blue??

frontquarter.jpg

frontseats.jpg

media2.jpg

Drives beautifully, nice interior etc. Bits and bobs changed last year.

Anthony

You wont be sleeping the night you bought it either! You just want to drive it! I promise you! :clap:

Definitely looking forward to it. Does anyone know what flip keys (like found on ebay for modern cars) can be cut for the rado? I have enouigh with alarm and immobiliser fobs!

Not sleeping already!!

Definitely looking forward to it. Does anyone know what flip keys (like found on ebay for modern cars) can be cut for the rado? I have enouigh with alarm and immobiliser fobs!

Not sleeping already!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: the day before I collected mine, I had to drink something like 2 pints of beer just to get asleep! but during night.. I had to wake up so many times to go to p*ss that I would say I didn't sleep at all :lol: :lol: :lol:

congrats, looks tidy

good choice, with a little tlc valvers are bullet proof

I have definitely got breakdown cover!

I will be creating a maintenance schedule (yawn) anything I should look out for?

I used to run a very fast road mini (would have beaten a vr6 off the lights) which did 12k a year and only needed the RAC when the 24 year old alternator packed in!

Welcome to the forum buddy!

How many miles does the old girl have on the clock. That definately looks grey to me, dont think the corr came in Helios blue. :shrug:

I have now had the car for 2 weeks and have had ups and downs similar to my mini ownership days. Even the downs are still more fun than 'modern' car ownership with it's lack of excitement regarding 100% start guarantees!

Vital stats:

Mileage: 128500

1.8 16V

Helios Blue (LA5Y paint code) - have had many comments about the colour people asking if it had been resprayed but this is the original colour.

15" alloys (unknown)

Well here is a 'breakdown' (no pun) of my first fortnight of having a mistress!

Day one - Picked the beast up and first full tank of fuel. it's been a while since I put £50 in a car that I own! Great drive home, the spoiler is awesome fun! (Simple things and simple minds :D ) Everything works fine, although the headlining is off the sunroof and so it 'snows' yellow fluff into my otherwise immaculate black interior! Having got a new car I obviously wanted to show it off so I got to my mates (luckily 1min up the road) and it wouldn't start. Tried everything even getting teh breakdown people out. I have worked out that my ignition switch is a little stiff and you have to turn it slightly more than the modern vehicle and starts everytime (touch wood). Once working I drove down a pitch dark lane only to find my headlamps were worse than my old mini candles pre halogen conversion. Also found out my high beam dash LED is duff and so I am not always sure if high beam is on!

Day two - Go to car shops (ending up at Halfrauds) to get some super brilliance H4 bulbs. Massive difference! Also cleaned and waxed for the first time getting intimate with the lines and quirks of the rado. Whilst changing the bulbs took the opportunity to clean the light lenses etc. Look like new (weren't yellowed).

Polished the tarnished tail pipe - looks shiny as now.

Day three - Took to work 50 mile round trip for the first time - Great stuff and getting 32mpg which was better than I expected. Spoiler was great form of entertainment for my lift share who found it all delightfully square and very 1990 (crank up black box and snap on the cassette deck!) Behaved impeccably. My grin gets wider everytime I drive it.

Day four - Not my turn to drive so left at home - On return I had a snotty letter saying my alarm was going off since 9am - surprisingly despite not being columbo or something I deduced this from the loud noise and flashing lights. What is the point in having an alarm when people ignore it and complain when it goes off??

My transponder was doing nothing to deactivate the alarm so contemplated ripping siren out until I worked out what the little key on my keyring did - Turned off alarm. Or at least I though I had - only siren. When driving down the road I had random hazard flashes which was interesting on the M61 anyway. Got back to base and could hear clicking in the passenger footwell. being an engineer I thought that is the source of the problem or would lead me there. It did. To the most shoddily wired alarm receiver ever. Bare wires near insulating foam etc. Cleaned that up myself. One of the capacitors was leaking and so had fired itself in all the excitement of going off all day. Removed receiver and clicking stopped - checked separate immobiliser unit still allowed the car to start it did - Happy days. New alarm to be fitted by an actual person not a moron with a soldering iron. Anyone have any alarm recommendations?

Since this the car has been fine. No leaks or anything, no burning oil - I am a happy bunny.

Let the girlfriend have a drive the other day - Interesting experience. 'I'm not struggling with the clutch' - "why is it like being inside skippy?" and 'The steering is heavy' with the response of " Thats cos its a real car!"

This is the only car I have found which feels like a real mini! Thats my testimonial anyway.

Today I got back from work with a slightly tractor like sound Middle section is blowing slightly. Sealed that with some Araldite steel stuff. Found out the big box by the suspension is discontinued so may need a system at some point in the next year. Any recommendations in the north west for stainless systems and also prices would be appreciated.

Pictures to be added tomorrow I hope.

brilliant, sounds like a standard first few weeks of corrado ownership :D

had a miltek on my old valver, great exhaust, nice and subdued and great build quality imo

Great stuff mate, only minor issues :

Though im not sure Helios was a OEM colour :scratch:

Looks like it was.

Helios Blue Metallic ---------------------LA5Y --------------------88 - 90

Welcome!

Great stuff mate, only minor issues :

Though im not sure Helios was a OEM colour :scratch:

Looks like it was.

Helios Blue Metallic ---------------------LA5Y --------------------88 - 90

Welcome!

ah proven wrong :notworthy: :wink:

Is it one of the less common colours then?

So Helios was only on ones up to 1990? Does anyone know/recommend where I can get some paint mixed up? Also The centre section of the exhaust is blowing from the weld from pipe to silencer. Having looked into exhaust I want to stay OEM and have noticed that the big suitcase is unavailable. I was looking and saw an underside of a KR engined Golf mk2. Would the suitcase (part number VW218P) fit?

Anthony

Hi guys and gals,

I have not really had much chance to post pictures, and the only pictures on my gallery are from autotrader.

Since I have owned the car I have set about doing all the jobs so to achieve the car I want. I want a fairly OEM looking car, which is nice and tidy, and as it is my daily I like to look after it, preventative maintenance rather than reactive maintenance.

Recently a few bits and bobs have started to appear. I think I will need to do the front suspension top mounts at some point this year. I have a front engine mount which will be fitted as soon as my hands warm up!

So far I have fitted a new OEM exhaust system, but I am not happy with the alignment of the tailpipe so it will be off again for some bending and refitting. My alternator packed in last week is a grand fashion involving smoke! That has been fixed now by the garage as I am away with work a lot and couldnt get one on a saturday afternoon! Still the back pocket is lighter!

Today as it was a bit cold to swap engine mounts I went about washing it. I tried a new method due to the cold weather which was essentially Wash the car, then rinse, then apply mer with a sponge, wash rinse and then chamois the car off. This has left a really nice shine which I am pleased with and should protect the paintwork a little.

Some pictures:

P1010952.jpg

P1010954.jpg

P1010956.jpg

P1010953.jpg

P1010959.jpg

Future jobs include:

Engine mount,

Rear brakes,

Front suspension top mounts,

Tidy the interior maybe look at a retrim,

Fit some better headlamps!

Fix my front splitter which is cracked at one corner

Sort the paintwork out particularly around the front bumper fog lamp area

Remote keyless entry

Stealth parcel shelf

source and fit Golf Mk2 scuttle cover

clean engine bay

fit mk4 expansion tank

fix passenger side mirror glass with heated element

Tune up

Looks like i'll be a busy boy especially with 2 mini restorations!

Anthony

looks good :salute: definitely something wrong with that back box, are you missing a hanger!?!

No I'm not missing a hanger, the back box is solid onto the heat shield with all hangers.

I think the angle coming from the suitcase silencer is the culprit, where it goes over the rear beam.

looking good mate. as you said that backbox has something amiss with it. other than that i like it alot!

Quick Update,

Fitted my engine mount (Solid one from GSF) took half an hour its like driving a new car now! No more lurching off the line!

To be fair the one I took off looks like the original (19 yrs old) and I could literally move the mount around with my hands - not quite right!

Easy job to do, saves lots more wear in the long run.

Sorry to go on a bit but I am currently basking in my own glow!

Next job - Brakes and Alarm

Anyone got any recommendations for alarm types and alarm fitters in the North West?

Cheers