Sign in to follow this  
f15h

Argh! Vr wont start again

Good morning,

I have had the common problem of my raddo turning over and not firing.

It looks like the issue is relay 167 - as it seems to be making a noise when starting the car.

I have just rung Lister VW in Cov and they're saying they'll need to order the part in which will take 5 days - not much use as the raddo is my daily driver.

Been round halfords and the like and they dont have them - any other ideas where I could get the relay from??

Cheers

Bypass it and see if the car runs then?

Crimp a male spade onto each end of a short piece of wire (10amp) and just poke it into the fuse board pins, across 167's output. The 2 biggest pins. It's fairly obvious looking on the fuseboard.

This will make the fuel pump run permanently, so remember to pull the wire out when you stop the car or it'll drain the battery.

Cheers, good little tip there.

I've managed to get a 167 relay through GSF so will try that tonight. Hopefully that will sort it, but unfortunately they dont do the ecu one (109).

luckily it was just the fuel pump relay that had gone. It started first time once i got some power to the battery.

I also checked the other fuses and found that no 16 had blown, so i replaced this while I was at it.

What does that little bab do, i noticed the spoiler stopped working when the relay went so im assuming its that.

Cheers

The spoiler fuse is shared with the dashboard lighting, so that's a good clue it's blown! I thought the spoiler was on 15, but it could be 16. On some late cars, the immobiliser shares that fuse and I think also the sunroof, so yet more clues :D

If fuse 15/16 keeps blowing, that'll be the spoiler mechanism starting to sieze, causing the motor to draw too much current, blowing the fuse.

Dismantling it and a regrease solves that. Modern greases are far superior to the 80s stuff they used at the factory, so should be a one time fix.

Cheers for that, I'll keep an eye on the spoiler then as im not sure which went pop first the relay or the fuse.

The spoiler has started workign again so I would assume that fuse 16 is linked into the spoiler relay somehow.

Unfortunately the sunroof doesn't work normally so checkin the dash lights is a great back up check - nice one.

Thanks again lads, much appreciated