Sign in to follow this  
eugopnosaj

Look what i found

Well this is the state the bad man who previously owned my corrado left the car in when he sold it to me, i knew it had a problem anyway and i was buying it to rebuild but i had never thought the hole would be THIS bad. He claimed that he had paid A LOT of money to get the engine rebuilt or something to that effect however methinks somebody cheated him and he had been driving around with a dodgy head. The guy who did the work most likely just changed the headgasket without sorting the head out, he probably also used the same bolts...

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf091030_164019.jpg[/attachment:2z6dulkk]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf091030_164133.jpg[/attachment:2z6dulkk]

This hole is between cylinders 3 and 4 which weren't firing at all. Ive got another head from another 9A engine which came from a donor which was included in the sale. Its in a good condition as you can see from the pics. My only concern is that i dont want to remove the block and get it skimmed, i've tidyed it up and removed as much of the carbon as i can and it feels pretty smooth (where it burnt through the head and the gasket). Do you think it will be ok for me just to fit the new gaskets (and bolts) along with the donor head without having too much of a problem. I dont know of anywhere near me who can check and skim the head for me nor would i know how much it would cost....all suggestions welcome

091027_165213.jpg[/attachment:2z6dulkk]

The replacement head from the donor. As you can see it looks like its in good condition.

I have found a place near me (milton keynes) that can skim the head for around £22 but the donor head looks fine, its the cylinder block im more worried about, i dont want the hassle of taking it out and then putting it back in again.....

Heads distort that's why you have them skimmed...

Block should be fine!

Had a HG go in the same place on my Rocco... head skim and all good!

Yeah, well the donor head looks good anyway but for the sake of £22 i might get it done, the head with the hole would need welding and reconditionin so way too expensive. What about the slight carbon build up on the block (well i assume its carbon, where it had burnt through the HG and left a blackish hard lump on the blick between the cylinders)? We've tidyed it up but theres still a slight bump when you run your finger over it...

when I bought my car 2 years ago, the head was in a similar way (had a "hole", but not that big!!!!). I was told that it could be welded but that it might not last long... so I was advised to get another head.

so about the other head, if the cost is just 22... I would do it because you won't have the head out every day so I think it is really worth it..

Yeah ill get it done on Monday but what about the block? Do you think it will be fine with the slight bump? I'm talking like half a mm ill try and upload a picture today

yes, please, upload that pic.

however, if the block has 1/2mm ... i think it should be done as well, because half a mm can seem a little but at the compression time it could give you some troubble..

hey, and why not getting a kr head with cams?

i would but ive already got another 9A head, although the bolts on the rocker cover are different to mine '92 (old) and '95 (new), possibly they changed them...

After further inspection and a bit of soft cleaning i was able to tidy the bump up, you can hardly feel it now and its not really noticeable at all. What do you think: (unfortunately the second one didnt quite focus on the bit i wanted it to)

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf091031_150125.jpg[/attachment:2cxcga6e]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf091031_150323.jpg[/attachment:2cxcga6e]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf091031_150049.jpg[/attachment:2cxcga6e]

091031_150214.jpg[/attachment:2cxcga6e]

I placed a large flat metal screwdriver across the top and theres no visible gaps, i tested the whole of the block and it seems fine, obviously it'd only be microns and not visible so hopefully the gasket will resolve any gaps. 1/2mm seemed to be a bit of an exaggeration methinks, my bad, im happy with the way this looks and hopefully you'll agree lol :)

I would put a stanley knife blade (held vertically, sharp edge on the block) over the suspect area and shine a torch behind it. Stanley blades are ground about as flat as anything outside a machine shop, so that should give you a good idea. If any light gets through in that area you are probably going to need the block skimming.

I would put a stanley knife blade (held vertically, sharp edge on the block) over the suspect area and shine a torch behind it. Stanley blades are ground about as flat as anything outside a machine shop, so that should give you a good idea. If any light gets through in that area you are probably going to need the block skimming.

oh, great idea!!!