Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Ignition barrel jamming.

The other night I tried to start the vr and the key wouldnt turn, was like it was the wrong key. :mad: I took the key out and tried again and it was fine so thought nothing of it.

Next day, out to the car, same again only it took a couple of goes to get the key to turn, drove to my work, came back out to the car and it wouldnt turn at all. :mad:

Anyway, I sprayed some wd40 in the barrel and on the key then it started no problem, but im worried this problem might come back. Anyone had this before? Is there an easy fix or am I going to be looking at a new barrel?

I was going to make a bypass switch just in case but then remembered the steering lock. :oops:

Switch seems fine, ive had that go on my previous car and it was different, this time the key wont turn at all when it jams, so I would say something is definately seizing. :(

Good thinking, ill try my spare key and see if it turns easier, if it does time to go to vw as the transponder in that key is knackered.

Time to change your steering lock - your lock barrel sounds very worn.

I'm changing mine at the moment due to the exact same symtoms. If your key will not turn at all then it is not the electrical switch at fault, it is the lock barrel.

Here's a question -

I need to remove the new lock barrel from my new steering lock. How do these items seperate ??

Any help appreciated - steering lock will not fit onto the steering column with the lock barrel already installed

Here's a question -

I need to remove the new lock barrel from my new steering lock. How do these items seperate ??

Any help appreciated - steering lock will not fit onto the steering column with the lock barrel already installed

got a picture of the side and the key end

Try squirting some WD into the lock barrel as that will free off any jamming sliders. Otherwise you'll have to drill a 3mm hole through the lock housing to release the barrel's locking tab in order to replace it with a new one. The precise drill location is in the Haynes/Bentley.

In my experience, tired barrels can be rejuvinated with a strip down and grease up.

K

you'll have to drill a 3mm hole through the lock housing to release the barrel's locking tab in order to replace it with a new one. The precise drill location is in the Haynes/Bentley.

K

That's the only remedy that I can think of. The lock housing & key barrel are both brand new - I've just assembled them in the wrong order. I should have mounted the steering lock onto the car before fitting the key barrel to it.

On most cars that I've worked on before, the key barrel is removable from the lock housing without causing damage to either.

Yeah it is a pain for sure, but easier to do if the lock housing is off the car! The only problem with VW's drilling method is it exposes the new barrel, so could be a theft risk, so I would plug the hole and superglue whatever you use, too!

Cheers for the advice Kev, my car's been off the road for nearly 2 weeks now. :(

VW began by sending me the wrong lock housing. :x It took 2 days to arrive & 3 days until I had time to do the job, then realised I had the wrong housing. 2 further days for the correct one to arrive, which I attempted to fit last night. :?

I'm going to cut up the old housing tonight & see exactly where I need to drill the hole in the new one. After that, I'll be an expert on VW steering locks. :lol:

After that, I'll be an expert on VW steering locks. :lol:

Cool, you can give me a hand putting a new lock in mine then... :wink: :lol: My key is sooooo worn after 250,000 miles that it won't open any of the other locks properly any more! :roll: :?

Ian - my advice is to change it as soon as possible. My lock didn't feel very worn at all - although looking at it, I can see that it was.

I'm now in posession of all the info that I need to remove the key barrell.

Correct fitting proceedure is to fit the electrical switch to the lock housing first, then fit this to the steering column & fit the key barrel last.

Correct fitting proceedure is to fit the electrical switch to the lock housing first, then fit this to the steering column & fit the key barrel last.

Yep, spot on :lol:

Did you see the drilling location in the Haynes/Bentley?

Drilled in the correct location last night - key barrel still would not come out. Drilled a bigger hole, key barrel still would not come out.

Ended up "loosing my rag" with it & beating up the whole assembly with a lump hammer. :mad:

Just ordered new parts this morning !!

Drilled in the correct location last night - key barrel still would not come out. Drilled a bigger hole, key barrel still would not come out.

Ended up "loosing my rag" with it & beating up the whole assembly with a lump hammer. :mad:

Just ordered new parts this morning !!

:roll: :roll: :lol:

Can you post up the part numbers you're buying as these will be really useful for when people (including me! :wink: ) decide to do this on their C... 8)

Ignition key barrel with 2 keys - 357 905 855B

Steering lock housing - 535 905 851 (vehicles with adjustable steering column)

Screw to attatch electrical switch - N0441155

Screws to attatch stalk switches - 321 953 573

All parts applicable to pre-facelift interior Corrados (G60 & 1.8-16v) - later cars may be different.

IIIRC, you have to press the barrel's locking tab really hard before it pops out of the housing, but if all else fails, a lump hammer is sure to succeed :lol: