Sign in to follow this  
Erickramirez

fpr or fuel pump battery drain

ok so i have a really weird situation, just recently my battery has been draining and i think i found the source. when i shut off my car, a couple of minutes later i will hear this noise coming from i believe the fuel pressure regulator or the fuel rail (or somewhere in that area). it sound almost like air escaping but then i noticed that in the rear of my car there is also a noise coming from the gas tank area that sounds like fuel moving around and a trickling sound, im guessing maybe a fuel pump? this noise will go on and off until my battery is drained i guess. why is this happening, the only recent changes ive done are: new battery, new amp for subs, new vacuum hose from fpr to intake manifold (not a clear one its a rubber one) and thats about it, i disconnected the ground that goes from the battery bracket to the battery so it could reach the battery posts, so whats going on??? relay??

i just did some more trooubleshooting, i took out the relay (bottom right, #12, relay 167, right??) while the noise was active and removing it had no affect on it, it still made the noise, i have no idea why it started making noise the only reason i could possibly think of is i somehow moved something relating to the fuel pump while i was installing my amp(it was getting pretty physical in there with the really short wires and the amp under the carpet with my subs on top) but thats kindof a crazy thought that i could have moved something, the spare tire pole thing tho is loose and i was moving it around, but idk, any suggestions??

There is a run-on circuit that should operate for up to ten minutes after the ignition was switched off. This will periodically switch on/off the electric water pump, the radiator fans, and the fuel pump. This is normal.

It should stop happening after about ten minutes though, or when the engine has cooled enough.

That is, of course, assuming that you have a VR6. The other cars don't have an electric water pump, afaicr.

And I'd be checking that your amps are going off properly, too. If they're sitting in idle drawing 10 watts or so that'll kill your battery in two to three days.

What Corrado is it?

If it's a G60 I think they leave fuel circulating round the rail after shutdown for a few minutes for cooling purposes.

VR6s don't do that.

i have a g60, and it is my fuel pump that keeps running i just confirmed that this morning, ive also done alot more trouble shooting: if i turn the key to the on position the fuel pump will deactivate, but once i turn it back to the off postion the fuel pump will go back on after about 5 minutes. and once its on it wont turn off until i either turn the key back on or disconnect my battery. ALSO i unplugged both #3 and #12 fuses (which correspond to the fuel pump right??) and the fuel pump stays on!! whatsup with that?? the fuel pump also turns off if i disconnect the plug in the trunk. SIDENOTE: my fuel gauge has been acting up but its always been like this as far as i remember, i dont know if that would have anything to do with it, and also my remote wire for my amp crosses right above my fuel pump but its always been there i dont think that would affect it would it? helpp this is drving me crazy!! is there anything ive missed?!?!!?

update: removed pretty much all the relays one by one and the fuel pump kept going (also removed #3 and #12 at same time). also disconnected amp to see if it would miraculously stop (since this started happening while i was installing the amp) and it didnt. what am i doing wrong... ECU problem?

As said earlier it's normal that it runs on, but only for a short period of time, up to about 10 or 15 minutes and no longer. So it's either the after-run control circuit has a bad timer, or perhaps you have a faulty ignition switch?

I don't know about the G60, but the VR6 has a completely separate control and fuse box for the after-run circuit. It sits in the engine bay.

yeah this runs on forever, until my battery drains. it actually flooded my cylinders now and wouldnt start, i took out the spark plugs hopefully it will deflood overnight, but now my ISV is making a Ticking noise when i turn the switch on, it ticks about once per second, pretty loud and you can feel it in the isv as well, and it slowly fades until the ticking is very faint, whatsup with that?? im starting to think i fried my ECU, is there any way to check if an ECU is fried besides swapping them?