pete_griff

Pete's M5 - Fresh Paint inbound...

well after all that effort, the ca is driving very nicely - low revs and part throttle have been transformed with the new injectors and the car is now torquier than ever! i still don't think it's as fast as i would like, but then it is big and heavy and i have to live with that.

had a bit of banter with a gt2 last night and realised just how insanely quick they actually are :shock:

Awesome stuff mate :notworthy:

Loving the 8 fog horns and ITB goodness :D That intake setup is pure engineering sex, I love it! That engine would turbo extremely well :norty:

I reckon shifting all that PCV gunk from the intake and throttles will sharpen it up a bit, good work mate!

How on earth did Ascari get 625hp out of that engine? Looks like BMW did some good stuff to get 400 from it so finding another 225 doesn't seem feasible without forced induction to me :shrug: But then again, if you could replicate what Ascari did, it would be brutal :D

cheers Kev - thought you might like the pics!

and NO!!! the engine won't turbo extremely well! - mainly because i won't be doing it! also, simply - i'm not brave enough - not because of the power, but the s62 engine only has 4mm of metal between each bore, not to mention a triple layer steel head gasket as standard, oh and also a compression ratio of 11:1!

also, i'm not sure about how much meat the ringlands have on them, but there is zero squish-bowl on the pistons.

people have supercharged/tubocharged them, but i certainly won't be doing that to mine (sorry!)

on the subject of turboing tough - randomly found this thread here a while ago and this will be absolutely insane when finished!

as for gaining extra horses - there's a lot to be gained from different/no cats and a GOOD set of manifolds/exhausts. the oem manifolds on the m5 are the same as on the 540 and are very restrictive. there's some bloke in London who runs a company called Van Manen (i think) and he's just finished a VERY nice set of manifolds that will basically give you an extra 40bhp without doing anything else! (and that's dyno proven on several cars!)

the standard exhaust system is also reasonably restrictive - if you've heard an m5 with an aftermarket system they sound positively EVIL! they are lovely, but you wouldn't want to live with it daily though.

mate that with some better cats, cams (effects of which will work very well due to the high compression), remap (as i think the standard map is considered to be fairly conservative - probably due to the high compression) and you should be hopefully be creeping towards the realms of 500bhp...

also the cylinder heads while fairly good as standard can also fit bigger valves in and respond well to proper porting on a flow bench. CnC Heads sell a set which will allow gains up to about 625bhp when using an 8000rpm limiter; i think these are a bargain at 2400 notes actually as the heads are brand spankers and they also include guides, valves, all machining work etc etc (and i think possily tappets too!).

you going to gaydon this sunday pete.

howdy pal, cheers for the pointers before and sorry i never replied to you (very rude of me :? )

luckily the parts guy at cotswold bmw loves me due to the amount i've spent in there since owning the car, so i am on first name terms and get a decent chunk of discount!

did you get your issues with the alternator sorted afterwards?

i'm afraid i won't be at Gaydon on Sunday, but i will be at the supercars show at Wilton on the Saturday if you're about for that one...

I think you've just got used to the power mate :D

Have you dyno'd it yet to check you're getting all the Shetlands you're expecting? I'm sure I read somewhere, or maybe you told me, that aeging M5s tend to put down around 350hp on average?

Some days I think mine is slow too, but honestly, you've only got to spend a day in something 'normal', even a punchy TDI, to realise just how quick your own car really is.

Cheers for the techie info. 4mm bore thickness is indeed risky for boost!!

That intake looks amazing though, I didn't realise it was so restrictive. Some real thought went into it and looking at the lengths of the runners, BMW clearly had torque in mind to shift that heavy bodyshell, rather than outright power. I suspect if you did the Ascari spec engine, it might make it peaky? I mean, 625hp is lovely, but the torque only climbs to 417lbft, from 370lb is it? The Ascari gets away with it as it's so light though :D

Anyway, that's all big cash and speculation, I'm glad you're still enjoying it and getting stuck in with the spanners!

howdy again pal

dyno is defo on the list of things to do (want to make the stealth day if i'm still around...). and yeah - anything around 350-360 and above corrected at the flywheel is generally considered the norm.

as for when i said manifolds - i meant both exhaust manifolds - the intake system is a thing of beauty as you say; don't think there's much more power to be gained there...

tbh i' uncertain exactly what spec Ascari run, i think the engine was used in one of the early Koenigsegg's too...

would love to have a go in the Ascari after experiencing the engine in my own car though :norty:

just FYI, i'm off out of the country tomorrow.

while i'm gone the car is booked in for a complete glass-out respray and i also have a new set of (original) wheels getting refurbed and going on (existing wheels being kept for the track :norty: )

watch this space - can't wait to get the picture updates myself while i'm away :)

as promised here are a couple of pics of the car as it stands right now...

it's actually totally in primer now (hopefully getting more pics emailed across tomorrow), but these will have to suffice for the time being.

it should hopefully be painted in the next couple of days.

oh, and the wheels have been refurbed as well - should be the ones shown in the pics...

god it's so frustrating being out here and not being able to get back and see it in the flesh/metal!

only 48 more days to go!...

anyway - pics...

Hi Pete, the M5 looks like it's receiving some good pampering whilst you're away!! Can't wait to see it in the flesh when you are back.

Reading through your previous couple of pages I'm amazed the engine is so reliable with just 4mm of wall between bores, that's mighty thin!! Still makes you wonder what it is between the 3.2, seeing as that block was originally intended for 2.8litres... although obviously they are not in-line like the M5...

You should ask the bodyshop to 1500 your headlight lenses and then polish them up when they do the rest of the car, it makes such a difference. I did it on the Mk2 rear lenses and they came up glossy like new. And obviously better for light.

For your brakes I'll need an upright assembly (one side is fine) with the disc's on and bearings in, and calipers.

wow! I didn't think the paint had any problem with it when I saw the car a while ago :shock:

cheers for that. in all honesty though the paint wasn't the best. there were loads swirl marks that admittedly would have come out with some work, but also there were a few patches of surface rust that would have progressed if left alone and also a fair number of carpark dents, small scratches and also a mountain of stone chips up front (hence the skim with filler).

can't wait to see it when i get back now though!

:)

Nice one Pete! Looking forward to seeing the finished paint job!

cheers pal, not as much as me though i assure you!

Hi Pete, the M5 looks like it's receiving some good pampering whilst you're away!! Can't wait to see it in the flesh when you are back.

Reading through your previous couple of pages I'm amazed the engine is so reliable with just 4mm of wall between bores, that's mighty thin!! Still makes you wonder what it is between the 3.2, seeing as that block was originally intended for 2.8litres... although obviously they are not in-line like the M5...

You should ask the bodyshop to 1500 your headlight lenses and then polish them up when they do the rest of the car, it makes such a difference. I did it on the Mk2 rear lenses and they came up glossy like new. And obviously better for light.

For your brakes I'll need an upright assembly (one side is fine) with the disc's on and bearings in, and calipers.

hey pal, get this - not only is there only 4mm of metal between the bores (meaning triple-layer steel head gaskets as standard), but the compression runs at 11:1!!! there are some fine tolerences there!

as for the extra cc; bmw put shorter rods in for a longer stroke, twinned with revised pistons. guessing that's how they've gone with the 3.2 as well...

thanks for the suggestion on the headlight lenses - already got them doing it! they were pretty bad though, so if they don't come good then it'll just have to be some new ones. i also remembered what you said about the lense-seals on your corrado and they have some new ones waiting to go on once they've polished them. :)

that's great about the braking assembly (i was hoping you'd say that) - i can square that away no problems when i get back. just keeping my eyes open now for the right set of calipers to come up cheap (wish i'd never sold my spare set now!).

thanks very very much again for sorting me out like this by the way - very much appreciated. :D

Good stuff, must be nervous when picking up the car from paint like this.

cheers pal.

i would normally be very nervous and i'm out of the country so i won't even get to see it for a while!

i'm very lucky though, in that the guys who work in the paint shop are all very good friends of mine. they always do a fantastic job; the bmw, audi and vw garages in hereford always send their work to them when their own bodyshops get too busy.

plus they know how anal i am anyway, so i've no doubt they'll do a cracking job.

(they painted a small bit of the 'rado for me before with great results, especially considering the age of the car and the paint).

JUST CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT NOW!

haven't had any more update pics of the spraying as yet, but it's pretty much done now - hopefully getting some pics soon...

also, i've managed to get hold of a spare set of hub assemblies and a full set of brembos off an evo; so now i've got some templates to give to my (very appreciated and awesome ;) ) friend to mock up some carriers, they'll be finding their way onto the car at some point once i'm all done out here (looking at sort of mid-April for that to happen hopefully).

will almost certainly make up some new solid lines while i'm at it as well as the existing ones are definitely past their best...

roll-on the new year!

anyway, happy Christmas everyone from afar - hope you all have a good time and don't suffer too badly at the hands of the weather

:D

hi pete,

when your back in the country would you mind giving me a call as looking to get an m5 after xmas, was gonna get another corrado but dare i say it on here, i just cant see myself having one after having the 540.

karl

Can't wait to see this bruiser in the metal again when it's all done. I will own one of these.. one day.. or at least an M3!

hi pete,

when your back in the country would you mind giving me a call as looking to get an m5 after xmas, was gonna get another corrado but dare i say it on here, i just cant see myself having one after having the 540.

karl

of course pal, no worries. i know exactly the feeling that you mean; after owning the impreza wr1, then the corrado, then the evo..... i don't know - there's just something "right" about the BM isn't there...

i may well actually end up getting another 'rado as a daily as the m5 would be a bit ridiculous to use on the commute i'm probably going to be returning to. we'll see!

i'll be back for a couple of weeks around the middle of Jan, but i probably won't have much free time then if i'm honest. i'll be properly back round about the end of March if that's any use to you...

Can't wait to see this bruiser in the metal again when it's all done. I will own one of these.. one day.. or at least an M3!

cheers pal :)

more or less everything has been sorted on it now (touches wood).

really looking forward to getting the brembos on it when i get back; i think it will be somewhere near perfect for me after that and once it's had a remap.

i'm hopefully getting some more pictures towards the end of the coming week so i'll get them up as soon as i get them.

:D

i got a 1999 m3 when i got rid of my last vr6 6/7 years ago and i have to say i consider that the biggest financial blunder in my life, there was some bad luck involved though and dealersip problems like a servicve II costing £1000 without parts vanos unit £1000 etc etc........thats's what i found. But dont get me wrong when it wasn't being fixed and raping my wallet i loved it, enough was enough though

BM's servicing prices have shot right down mate, my inspection 2 cost me £485 in august my BM is a 2001 540i sport so takes plenty of oil etc etc.

like i say thats what happened to me then may a bit cheaper now but...

having said that i still remember the howling and insane pull once you get past 5000 rpm and the grin it gave me

i got a 1999 m3 when i got rid of my last vr6 6/7 years ago and i have to say i consider that the biggest financial blunder in my life, there was some bad luck involved though and dealersip problems like a servicve II costing £1000 without parts vanos unit £1000 etc etc........thats's what i found. But dont get me wrong when it wasn't being fixed and raping my wallet i loved it, enough was enough though

that's unlucky about the m3 - sounds like you hit on a bad car.

that said the vanos design isn't the strongest, but the thing that actually goes wrong in 90% of the cars is just the little rubber o-rings that fail with age and heat. these seal in the oil and keep it the correct pressure for the vanos solenoids; if these fail then the vanos panics and throws codes left, right & chelsea!

to fix it, it actually costs about £5 in most cases and a couple of hours dismantling things (depend on your model) - the only trouble is that bmw don't do the simple fix (as it's not meant to exist), they only replace the vanos unit as a whole which costs the big bucks and is totally unnecessary!

i'm fortunate enough to be able to do my own servicing while still keeping the history all up to date, so running costs other than parts and fuel aren't really an issue for me.

i love the e46 m3s - a mate of mine has one and i absolutely love driving it! we keep on saying that we're going to put them side by side and have a drag to see who comes out best, but we still haven't got round to it yet... (maybe i can squeeze in my remap before that happens!)

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

hope you all had a good time and aren't too hungover today...

i FINALLY got some more pics of my car, now it's just about finished. can't wait to get back now just so i can see it. my girlfriend has already volunteered my services for her friends wedding as the wedding car; at least that will give me the excuse to clay, polish and wax it when i get back without getting me into trouble!

also, i was mumbling a while back about getting hold of a set of brembos (exactly the same as i had on both my evo & impreza) to go on the car in place of the frankly crap sotck calipers - as you can see, that process will be in motion shortly!

i'll be re-painting the calipers in black so they don't stand out as that really won't suit the car. also, i'll probably not bother putting the brembo logo back on them when they're re-painted, instead i'll see if i can find some small and discreet M-Sport logos (///M) on ebay or the like and put those on the calipers instead - think that will look quite trick, but i'm interested to hear any suggestions...

pics (not the best because of the light, but you get the idea...):

Very nice, how about putting the brembo badge on but in a matt finish (if the calipers are glos) or possibly very dark grey so you only see it when very close?