Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

Exhaust quitening

Bought a 4motion Golf as a new daily today and it has a few things done to it one of which is a custom exhaust. Now the guy got it in 3in pipe and whilst it does sound brilliant it drones around motorway revs.

Does anyone have experince of reducing this sort of thing? Can I add an inline silencer box, does the 3in pipework influence the noise too much? Tailpipe is standard looking 4motion.

Hmm.. depends.. I think motorway droning is usually down to the exhaust system to be honest so I don't think changing the air filter back to original will help much :(

Must just be the resonant freq of this system which is a shame as its not too loud at any other rev/load. Filter getting changed anyway so I'll see if it makes a diff. Was looking at Jetex custom parts to get a centre silncer to help a little.

Nice looking system mate.

You could go for a larger backbox, or the cheaper option of getting a centre siliencer fitted.

Looking at the pics think there's supposed to be another box ahead of the rear diff (judging by the heat shield) so maybe get one put in there?

Yeah the standard system has a centre silencer. The rear "suitcase" on the standard is a lot bigger. Its sounds so nice though... Maybe good to keep it for when the turbo goes on 8)

Sounds more like the design rather than the lack of a centre silencer. The non-resonated Milltek (no centre silencer) on our 4Motion sounds lovely under load but is virtually as quiet as standard at motorway speeds, mind you the rear silencer is the same size as the standard system

Yeah the standard system has a centre silencer. The rear "suitcase" on the standard is a lot bigger. Its sounds so nice though... Maybe good to keep it for when the turbo goes on 8)

Not a bda idea as the turbo will quieten it down somewhat.

if its a resonance problem you could try stiffening up the exhaust? maybe retro-fit a stainless steel bracket near the centre. That should change the resonance frequency of the exhaust. Dont wont to make it too stiff thou, it may end up ripping something off the car ! :lol:

Must be why he went 3", for future turbo use. There is no other reason why you would put a 3" single muffler system on a normally aspirated VW!!

For one thing it's currently not doing the power any favours and secondly, trying to get 3" quiet is difficult with a turbo, let alone without!

Best you can do is throw in a resonator where the cat used to be (or better still, a cat, and why not 3" to match the rest? - http://www.gt3turbo.com/Merchant/produc ... t=0&page=2 ), and then a centre silencer.

That'll quieten it down a bit, but it will still boom when it gets hot.

If you're never planning on going turbo, rip it off, punt it on ebay and get a proper bore system better suited to the application.

If you're never planning on going turbo, rip it off, punt it on ebay and get a proper bore system better suited to the application.

Tbh that was my first plan as Ive found a standard system for £35. The CATs are still in place. I think he was planning on going the FI route but I wont be. One question though, will this fit an S3 as it looks very similar to the one I had on my S3?

Either that or go back to the place he had it done and get them to reduce it to standard bore with a centre silencer.