Sign in to follow this  
4eyes2wheels

Towing

Need to get the C a mile and a half up the road to the garage to sort out my engine problem. The problem makes the thing almost undrivable so I need to get a tow up there. The garage will do it for me (at a cost no doubt) but I'd rather do it myself.

I would look at the car myself but it's at home and I'm not so the question is - where is the towing point on the front of a 1993 VR6 please?

Thanks in advance

Next question, is getting the wife to tow me in the C (with no PAS working) in the dark using her automatic 3 series convertible a recipe for divorce?

LOL, potentially :lol:

Fighthing against a PAS steering rack with no assistance and the VR6's nose weight make it a towing nightmare. Not forgetting of course how schitt VR6 brakes are assisted with a servo, let alone without.

Still, if you have towing experience, it's perfectly doable :D

An auto makes for a better towing car anyway as pulling away from rest isn't so abrupt. Fixed towing poles are a million times better than rope... but they cost a fair chunk.

Well the towing has been completed. Got my 75 year old dad to do it in the end - the C being dragged behind his immaculate Passat Estate (6 years old and only 15k on the clock!). All was fine until the level crossing gates started to come down and he decided to boot it :nono: thought the front of the C was going to come off :cuckoo: But fortunately the rope had a bit of give in it and we made it!

Now I await the verdict from the garage tomorrow. :roll:

I think it is a bit of an art - not sure if the old fella was messing with me but he did keep touching the brakes which made me brake (to avoid pranging his pride and joy) and then he immediately gets off the brake and back on the gas. All good fun though . . . :D