Sign in to follow this  
flip_corrado

heaters are cold!!!!

just bought a corrado 1.8 16v.. however the heaters are cold. the car does not over heat and the fan is kicking in... i have not yet checked the termo stat but will do.. just asking is this a comom problem.. if so what is is???

thanks

Hello mate,

I had this issue myself when I first brought my VR6 a few months back. First thing to do, is to open the bonnet look right at the back of the engine bay. You should see two pipes going into the tin heat shield (i think) right at the back. If not this means your heater matrix has been bi -passed which then means that your matrix needs replacing!!

If the tubes are in place then the heater matrix could still be the issue. Check for any water leaks right at the front of the car underneath the centre console in the middle. If there are no leaks then turn the heater from hot to cold, there should be some be a little stiff and you should be able to hear a flap being open and closed. If not then your bowden cables might have come loose or snapped.

Have a look at around the forum as there are some very good guides in the Wiki to fix both issues (or at least give you an idea).

Please let me know what your investigations reveal :)

thanks mate,

av checked the pipes and they r present also checked the the cables which are good. could it b the termostat??? also the air is flowing through the air vent but not through the windscreen vent...help :confused4:

Hey mate,

I am no car mechanic so forgive me if i make a mistake :)

The way i understand the heater system as working is that hot water from the engine is taken to the heater matrix where it is used to heat the radiator type device. Using the bowden cables (attached to your heater panel) you move a flap in the heater box so that you either divert the air around the heater matrx (cold) or through it (hot). If the cable is damaged or the clip is not fixed properly, this could cause an issue (at the moment i need to pull mine to get it to work). Otherwise try changing the thermostat. I believe there is a wiki for it :)

JP

Is the heater not getting hot at all?

try getting the engine nice and warm and then see if the pipes at the back of the engine bay leading to the matrix are warm, quite often they can get air locked and will keep the car nice and cold :(

k the two pipe leading to th matrix are hot and when turning from hot to cold i can hear a change....so whats th next step??!!!!!!!!! could it still be the heatermatrix?? also i have noticed that the pasenger side floor carpet is wet...but dnt no why .. what u reckon pple!!! help!!!!!! :mad2:

When you say the passenger floor is wet, is it wet,when it rains ?

Does it smell of anti-freeze ?

If its the matrix leaking,you should smell anti-freeze,have you had to top up the coolant ?

It could be just the foilage seal leaking,thats causing the soggy carpet !

to be honest only had the car for at most twoweeks and its been raining ever since. havnt topped up the coolent seems to be stable.the windows are alredt steamed up before i sit into the car.!!!! the side windows clearup whn the air is blowing but as the windscreen vent do not blow out any air at all the wndscreen remains steamed! any clues???

When you drive the car around corners with the heater on does the blower (in the bottom corner passengers side) squeal or make a noise? The foilage gasket + clips cost me £8 to buy last friday from VW so definately worth a look to stop the leak.

As for the changing from hot to cold. The heater matrix pipes go from the engine straight into the engine and radiator so they should be constantly warm unless there is an airlock. Change the foiliage seal, if it still leaks then i'd put money on the matrix :)

yer the blower makes a noise.. however chaning the seal...wud it sort out the problem of cold air?????

No ! It will only sort out the water leak

the pipes are hot leading to the matrix....so could it still be the matrix????? and duz the corrado self bleed out the air lock?? or is there a bleed valve??

ok...finaly changed th heater matrix on ma rrado!!!!! however still no hot air!!!

did a couple of checks and asked around and found my answer..... :nuts:

the matrix is a common fault however there are two bypass values connected to the pipes leading to the matrix that prevent the flow of water..if one of these is stuck,, it will not allow hot water into the heater matrix therefore no hot air..i replaced these by pass valuse with copper pipes which you can purchase from most plumping stores.

if your raddo has hot pipes leading to the matrix but no hot air best chances are:

1)heater matrix, systoms includes wet carpet....misting windows

2)heater control box or cables, can normally check when changing fron hot to cold there should be a difference in air. if not check you cables (mines is blue)

3)bypass vaules... best to change first as its a easy fix...little money spent

hope this i helpfull :salute: