Sign in to follow this  
hodaz

Corrado VR6, just cut out and now wont start again *update*

Finally seemed to get my Rado running nice, and tonight I was driving, went around a corner, revs dropped off and car stalled. Gave it a few attempts and tried leaving it for a bit but still wouldnt start. Car still isnt starting now even though its cold. Car was driving, cooling and heating up perfectly prior to this, even returning pretty good MPG.

Anyone got any idea's, or will I need to get someone with Vagcom out to run a fault code check?

usual checklist - ecu relay 109, fuel pump relay 167, cranks sensor, but this is pricey. As above check for fuel & spark first. Once you know which or both are not present you can isolate the problem.

Thanks chaps, I will check the basics tommorow morning. I would hope its not the fuel pump as only replaced it a few months ago. Although it does seem like its being starved of petrol. How would I know if its the pump relay?

What is the crank sensor? I cant find it on the ECP site? I take it its one of the two black/white sensors just infront of the block?

Last time I ran VAG-Com the two faults that came up were Lambda Sensor and Engine Speed Sensor.

My crank sensor gave me a problem recently. I could start the thing (as in the spark was fine) but wouldn't stay running. Was diagnosed as crank sensor which when cleaned made the thing work again although still reported an error code on the garage software. So I had a replacement fitted rather than have it work for a little while then fail again. Sensor cost £40, diagnosis and fitting an hour. So a hundred quid it cost me on the itemised bill that included a full service and some new tires . . . .

The engine speed sensor (crank sensor) is located on the front of the engine just above the sump. It's secured by a 5mm i think allen bolt. If this fails it stops the injectors and ignition (so no fuel or spark). VagCOM will report this as faulty if the engine is stopped, that's just a bug with the cars fault reporting.

I didnt realise engine speed and crank sensor were same thing! There are 2 different parts on the ECP site. I'll have a look tommrow :)

Thinking about this I may have missed some very important information - the other morning the car seemed like it was going to stall, revs died right down to say 250 then up to 1000, did this 3 or 4 times on tickover when I first started it until it eventaully settled. Thought nothing of it as it was freezing cold and I was running mega low on petrol. Would this point to speed sensor?

that could be afew things - dirty throttle body, dirty/sticking ISV. Or possibly a MAF problem and, as you've mentioned, a crank sensor problem.

First thing is to check the easy stuff, whip off the petrol feed (next to the airbox) you'll see which one it is because there are arrows, and just see if petrol comes through when you turn on the ignition, if it doesn't you know it's pump/relay related. Then if it is, take out a spark plug and see if you have a spark, do the sensors last.

right am update.

went and sorted the car today. it started ok but its idling really lumpy. when first turned on the revs bounce around like mad, and even when it settles it keeps souniding like its going to cut out. i've cleaned the MAF (reasonably new) and cleaned the ISV (reasonably new also). cleaned speed sensor up and appeared fine. i couldnt really get in to clean out the throttle body but did spray some carb cleaner in. any idea's what could be wrong? lambda sensor making it overfuel maybe as this was the error code that came up when it was Vag-com'd a little while ago? and reson why stalled was due to flooding engine as running rich?